Singlecross Commuter

bigdaveskinnytyre
bigdaveskinnytyre Posts: 218
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
I'd been debating buying a Singlespeed for commuting for a while and Chris217's Singlecross came up for sale in the classifieds. Having previously owned a pair of lovely S-Works Tri-Crosses I knew the geometry would suit me so I picked the bike up on Thursday. I spent Friday evening fitting 28mm Gatorskins, mudguards, rack and lights and here it is :D

DSC01338.jpg

I still need to pick up a decent pump, bottle cage and Garmin mount but will give it a spin tomorrow and ride my route to work to test the gearing (42 x 17 fixed) and decide whether I need to up the gearing or not. The front wheel is an exposure dynohub built into an H Plus Son Archetype (Built by me, checked over by David Hunt at DCR wheels) I'll eventually build another Archetype for the rear, probably on a Miche Primato.
Nil Points

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Looks good - I used to use 48x18 (about 70") on my Pompino - was fine for a flattish commute in and around Reading. Even took it out on the rolling roads up to Stoke Row once - wouldn't make a habit of it though!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Ive got the same bike in the black colourway and love it. Have some PX AL30 wheels with 28c Schwalbe Marathons for the road, and the original Alex Rims things with Kenda Small Blocks for off. Use an 16t sprocket on the road and 17t for the rougher stuff. It's a great bike - reckon you made a good choice :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I picked up a pre-owned Singlecross four years ago and have changed to mini Vs and changed the bars to bull bars and TT levers, now running 50x17.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    How did you find the mini V's compared to cantis redvee? I've got a problem on my crosser with the cables where I think it's designed for V's and the cables touch with cantis. I was just wondering if there was much difference in power?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't compare power between the two as it's been so long since I made the change. Certainly no problems with stopping with mini Vs and TT brake levers.
    Have a look at the distance between the brake pivot and where the nipple sits to see if the right brakes are on your bike, a large gap means V brakes, a small gap means cantis.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Thanks, I think I will give them a go, it's actually the boss for the rear gear cable which is on the headtube rather than top tube. When you try to turn left the cables touch and it applies the front brake!
  • I'd been debating buying a Singlespeed for commuting for a while and Chris217's Singlecross came up for sale in the classifieds. Having previously owned a pair of lovely S-Works Tri-Crosses I knew the geometry would suit me so I picked the bike up on Thursday. I spent Friday evening fitting 28mm Gatorskins, mudguards, rack and lights and here it is :D

DSC01338.jpg

I still need to pick up a decent pump, bottle cage and Garmin mount but will give it a spin tomorrow and ride my route to work to test the gearing (42 x 17 fixed) and decide whether I need to up the gearing or not. The front wheel is an exposure dynohub built into an H Plus Son Archetype (Built by me, checked over by David Hunt at DCR wheels) I'll eventually build another Archetype for the rear, probably on a Miche Primato.

That looks nice!

How do you find the exposure hub? is it hooked up to a light yet? I am likely to get Ugo to build me a new set of wheels for my winter commuter and having a deore dynamo hub on my current bike am pretty much sold on dynamo hubs/lights.
  • The hub was easy to connect up and looks to be a pretty decent quality bit of kit. I've not tested it out properly yet, I'm new to dyno hubs but thought it would be a better option than rechargeables. It's hooked up to the exposure Revo which is nicely made and up to exposures usual standards. I start commuting on it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.
    Nil Points