Single Chainring Dilema - + Chainguide

mali01
mali01 Posts: 81
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
After figuring out i never move out of the middle ring and in the quest of saving a bit of weight im considering moving over to a single chain ring config.

after a bit of research i think i will need a clutch type rear mech but not sure if i will need long cage or medium cage.

The crankset on my bike is a suntour so ive been looking at the Raceface Evolve single with bash.

When it comes to chain guides i really have no idea what i will need and what will fit. And more importantly which is best. I know i will need one that fits onto the seat tube.

2 that have captured my interest are the Hope and the E 13 xcx st.

If any of you knowledgeable peeps could point me in the right direction on which components work and work together would be great.

All of this will be going on a Rockhopper 29er Hardtail.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It isn't a cheap option if you are looking at changing crankset and rear mech. Is your bike currently 3x10 or 3x9?

Losing the granny ring, replacing the big one with a bash and a superstar seat tube mounted chain guide would be the easiest option and see how you get on with it.
  • E thirteenth xcx is the best guide. You don't need a clutch mech.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    It isn't a cheap option if you are looking at changing crankset and rear mech. Is your bike currently 3x10 or 3x9?

Losing the granny ring, replacing the big one with a bash and a superstar seat tube mounted chain guide would be the easiest option and see how you get on with it.

Its currently 3x9

I know its going to cost me an arm and a leg im thinking perfect excuse to upgrade to a XT groupset apart from the cranks.

Im thinking 10 speed cassette 11-36
    Xt shadow plus rear mech
    Xt right hand shifter
    Raceface Evolve single plus bash
    Clueless about chainguide

All the parts that are currently on my bike will be swapped over to my wifes 8 speed bike making it a 9.
  • E thirteenth xcx is the best guide. You don't need a clutch mech.

Would i have to get rid of the bashring to use the E thirteen xcx
  • mcnultycop
    If you are willing to spend I'd go XT cranks, sell the chainrings put a race face narrow wide chainring on (so no guide needed), XT cassette, Zee mech, KMC chain, XT shifter.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    If you are willing to spend I'd go XT cranks, sell the chainrings put a race face narrow wide chainring on (so no guide needed), XT cassette, Zee mech, KMC chain, XT shifter.

Thanks for the advice i have just priced that up and comes in at a favorable £350ish

So i will definitely not need a chain guide with the Raceface Narrow wide chainring?
  • Just something else to consider. Merlin have a full SLX groupset (2x10 or 3x10) for 350 quid including brakes. You could take all the parts you need for your your 1x conversion then sell all the other bits. The brakes alone would get you 100 quid easily on ebay (thats if you decided not to keep them). I know its not XT but it is just as good albeit a bit weightier (and the cranks look better).
  • mcnultycop
    mali01 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

So i will definitely not need a chain guide with the Raceface Narrow wide chainring?

Definitely.
  • I wouldn't fit a Zee mech unless you are fitting it to a downhill bike, it's a little heavy and not the lightest shift due to the heavier spring. I would go for either a XT or SLX.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have just changed mine from a SLX triple to a 1x10 setup using a 34T Raceface NarrowWide, I kept my non clutch XT rear mech but did use a Superstar chainguide as extra security, only other extra was shorter chainring bolts.
    raceface.JPG
  • mcnultycop
    I wouldn't fit a Zee mech unless you are fitting it to a downhill bike, it's a little heavy and not the lightest shift due to the heavier spring. I would go for either a XT or SLX.

I went from XT to Zee and much prefer the Zee (in fact I have Zee on both my bikes), shifting is solid and the short cage stays out of trouble.