50mm extra on A-C length

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

A friend of mine has bought some new forks for her 2004 Spesh Enduro Comp

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... ioxNz_Fm2k

The new forks are RS Revelations RLT Ti which are 150mm travel. 30mm more than the original forks, the A-C length is 50mm more and my question is do you think this is too much for the frame? From a safety point of view rather than geometry bearing in mind she wants to start doing some DH and is a fearless thing.

I have my doubts about it and would hate to fit a pair of forks on a mates bike that are a potential safety risk without at least asking the question.

For reference the old forks had an A-C of 490mm and the new ones are 540mm

Cheers all

EDIT: The travel can be reduced on these as I'm sure many of you know, I'm basically asking if they can be run at full travel safely.
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A bit too long for my liking. I'd drop them to 130 mm.
  • Are you thinking of that from a geometry point of view or a frame stress point of view? It's the thought of DH on it thats worrying me.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The frame isnt built for such a long A-C and in extremes you could be in danger of busting the frame because of the extra leverage. Plus its going to ride like a Raleigh chopper especially when climbing.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Yeah thats what I was worried about. How easy is it to reduce them? It's a spacer inside right? I take it I might as well look at servicing them at the same time (bearing in mind I've never had a pair of air forks apart before)

Cheers guys
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Servicing is easy and yes you can fit a travel reduction spacer, we did the opposite on the daughters Revs to increase the travel!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.