DIY tubeless - Rubber Queen to Mavic rim

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been trying to do a ghetto number, fitting RQs to a Mavic Crossride rim. I've gone for the gorilla tape method but no matter what I do can't get the bead to seat in the rim.

The tyre's been fitted with an inner tube for a while, so should be the right shape for the job. I've had the tyre turned inside to try and get the bead closer to the rim wall, but as soon as the tyre goes on the rim it kind of collapses in on itself and even using a compressor, air just blows out through the gap. CANNOT get the feckers to pop.

Is the RQ/Mavic combo always such a pain in the posterior?

Any more tips? (Used soapy water and also tried building up the 'bed' of the rim - no dice...)

Cheers in advance,

BTM

Comments

• AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Loop a piece of string around the outside circumference of the tyre and then pull it tight, it will then force both the beads outwards.

Then build up as much pressure as you can in the compressor tank, then give it a blast when you have the string pulled up tight, you may require two people to do this really effectively.
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Ah - that's another thing I tried, ratchet strap around the tyre. Still no dice!

Maybe I need to admit defeat?!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Maybe you haven't built-up the rim bed to give a good enough seal? Try a ghetto rim strip? Split a BMX inner tube along the seam and sit over the rim
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..