Left Hook

chilling
chilling Posts: 267
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
That was me this morning. Just past the junction of Farringdon Rd and Rosebery Ave.

Woman's sat nav told her to turn left so she did, without checking or indicating. Sadly I was alongside her doing about 20mph so hit the ground pretty hard.

Nice tarmac imprint on my shoulder and grazed and bruised left side. It's starting to get pretty sore now.

Woman admitted fault and I have a couple of good witnesses. There's probably some good video from the bus that was following her but I was so dazed as I picked myself up that I didn't get it's number.

Front wheel of the bike and helmet trashed.

Been to the Dr's and nothing broken, just a sprained shoulder, grazes and bruises.

It's amazing how slow time goes when you can see the road rushing towards you, all I could think was 'This is going to hurt'.

Do you think it's worth getting in touch with TFL to see if I can get video from the bus? Bit of a long shot as I didn't get it's number or number plate.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Do what you can to get as much evidence that it was teh drivers fault as you can, she may have admitted at the scene, but her sols (if you traded details) may well convince her to change her story.

If its her fault, dont take a backhander, keep receipts for EVERYTHING and pursue through the insurer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You absolutely should collect as much evidence as possible, and as early as possible. You can always choose not to use it later.

Hope you recover fully!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Keep an eye on that shoulder - I ended up with needing surgery and mine took 4 years to heal.

Report the incident to the police, even if just for a log number. Contact CTC or BC's solicitors.
  • Yes get onto the bus company *now* as the footage may well be deleted after a while, besides if they ask around the drivers they are likely to remember a car hitting a cyclist.

As said it's often the case that the driver will admit fault at the scene but when getting home their family tells them to start denying it.

Take your bike to your LBS and get them to do an assessment of the damage and repair costs - with repair costs you have to be realistic and not e.g. claim for a full new bike if it's only wheel damage etc.

You will be due personal injury compensation too. I was in a similar situation and got £1,000.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    fossyant wrote:
    Keep an eye on that shoulder - I ended up with needing surgery and mine took 4 years to heal.

+1

mine's still sore and causing issues (rotator cuff tear) from March following me hitting the tarmac, so yes keep an eye on it
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    I hit a wvm this morning, well technically he hit me but, i was undertaking..
    Sprinter was moving away from curb after a ped.island, i went to pass and he decided to return to the curb, probably blinding him with my fluorescence awesomeness! Just his mirror got a shoulder 'tap'. Didn't look to see if it was hanging off, I was too busy in awe of the gabba vs rain :)

No idea why I feel I have to explain myself, just needed to get it orf my chest
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    In my experience, insurance company solicitors will deny that the event ever took place unless you can provide evidence that it did. I had to get photocopies of the notebook of a passing policeman, at which point the enemy solicitor stopped lying, admitted that his client had been involved in a crash, that it was his clients fault and paid up.

Charge for everything you can: any damaged clothing (inc helmet) and kit, taxis, bus fares. Make your claim realistic but complete. If you have carbon forks, they should be written off. I would also write off bars and cranks subjected to impact damage at 20mph. A whole bike is not unrealistic.
  • I almost been severely left hooked a couple of times in the past couple of years. Both times both I and the car were travelling pretty quickly and there was a small turn on the left which the car suddenly braked and turned into without indicating. I literally had to make emergency manoeuvres to follow the car round the corner but luckily s/he noticed me at the last minute as I was about to collide with the car's left wing and I was able to shoot round the front of it....

When approaching left turns these days, if I'm travelling at the same speed as the traffic or faster I position myself in it, behind the vehicle, towards the right a little as we approach any left turns, that way I can make emergency action round the right rear end of the car as it turns unexpectedly...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    HH, can I gently suggest that if you are behind a vehicle, travelling at the same speed, but need to take emergency action if they turn left unexpectedly, you are too close?
  • PBo wrote:
    HH, can I gently suggest that if you are behind a vehicle, travelling at the same speed, but need to take emergency action if they turn left unexpectedly, you are too close?
    Yes exactly, that's what I was trying to point out. Sounds like the OP was in the same situation, in fact many cyclists caught by a left hook may have themselves to blame
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I read it as HH described events of the past in first para, and learning the error of their ways in second.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    2 very different but similar scenarios

1: Car overtakes bike and turns left in front of bike leaving bike nowhere to go.

2: Bike partially undertakes takes car which turns left, not spotting bike in its blind spot.

1) is bad driving / bad luck if your philosophical about these things

2) is completely avoidable with a bit of forethought / road craft on the part of the cyclist.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem