In need of an Upgrade?

THORHUSHOVD
THORHUSHOVD Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in Road general
After Cycling for a Few Years now and falling Love with the Sport, :D I am searching for some advice of you all if poss please? :D

Can somebody please explain the Gears/Cassette Ratios please?

I am looking for an Extra Gear or 2 when i am cycling on the Flats from time to time? I Love Cycling at High Speeds, 8) HaHa!!

Question is: Do i need to upgrade my bike or is there anything that i can do to my bike that can enable me to get the extra gear or 2 that i need on the flats while not losing my Low End Gears for the Beastly Hills? :D

Any advice would be Mucho Appreciatado, 8)

Cheers Thor "Beast On 2 Wheels" Hushovd

Comments

• Would help to know what you have already.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Oops, forgot to mention that Sorry, 8) HaHa!!

I currently Ride a Specialized Allez Compact, Entry Level Road Bike m8, :wink: Cheers!!

In fairness, i was recommended this as a Great 1st Bike and it has been GREAT, :)

Just looking to Crank it Up a Notch or 2 now if you know what i mean? :wink:

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    What size is the big ring at the front? What size is the small ring at the back? How fast are you travelling when you feel you need extra gears on the flat?
  • It would help to know what you're riding on now but the short answer is yes you can make modifications without upgrading the whole bike. The easiest way would be to change the rear cassette. Your smallest cog will wait her have 11 or 12 teeth. If its 12 changing to 11 will make a difference. Alternatively you can change your chain rings. If you're riding on a compact 34/50 it can be changed to give you higher gear ratios. Depends on a few things though. Your LBS should be able to advise you.
  • Cheers for advice so far Guys, Great Stuff, 8)

I currently got a Shimano 2300 Compact 50/34 Chainset with a Shimano HG-50, 8 Speed 12 - 25 Casstte?

The changing of the Rear Casstte from a 12 teeth to an 11 teeth seems like a Great Idea? Cheers, 8)

I will prob Upgrade 1 Day as i Love Cycling so much BUT i just wasn't sure if i could modify my Spec Allez now as i still Love the Bike to b honest, :D

What do you recommend? Upgrade or Modify? The Specialized Sport Secteur Triple is 1 that i have looked at in the past but do you think there is any need? Would an Upgrade be "That Much" of a Difference?

As i said .......... Modify or Upgrade? 8)

Cheers Huys, 8)

• I would suggest a new keyboard.
  • An 11 tooth will help on the rear cassette. The best option is free though...just learn to pedal faster. A 50/12 at a cadence of 100rpm is >32 mph on the flat. A 50/11 would be >35mph.
  • Have to say am in agreement with stifflers! I've previously had BIG gears and love to push a big gear but have upgraded to a second hand carbon bike (enforced due to theft) with a triple leaving me with a 50 biggest front and 12 smallest rear.
    This bothered me severely at first but by pedalling faster you don't need any bigger gearing... can still achieve speeds in excess of 75KPH while still pedalling (downhill obviously), but for flats or gentle downhills there is plenty gearing in 50/12 max.
    Increasing your cadence also has the added benefit of increasing the workload on your heart (instead of your legs) so you should be able to keep going faster & longer overall..
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    After Cycling for a Few Years now and falling Love with the Sport, :D I am searching for some advice of you all if poss please? :D

I am looking for an Extra Gear or 2 when i am cycling on the Flats from time to time? I Love Cycling at High Speeds, 8) HaHa!!

Question is: Do i need to upgrade my bike or is there anything that i can do to my bike that can enable me to get the extra gear or 2 that i need on the flats while not losing my Low End Gears for the Beastly Hills? :D

Surely you'd know this already Thor. Or are you getting fed up of being beaten by Cav and Kittel et al?
  • LegendLust wrote:

Surely you'd know this already Thor. Or are you getting fed up of being beaten by Cav and Kittel et al?

Obviously needs something to amuse himself now he's retired!
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    I wouldn't modify, reason being is an 8 speed limits a lot. I had a trek 1.1 which was an 8 speed and most decent wheels aren't 8 wheel compatible so then you need to upgrade shifters and derailiers, well in fact the whole bike just to get some slightly better wheels.

Either stick with what you have, or save up/find a 0% finance loan and upgrade
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • Cheers for advice Guys, 8) Mucho Appreciatado, :wink:

Me thinks i got enough Advice to go on Now, Cheers :wink:

Will speak to my Local Bike Shop over weekend and see what he thinks/advises too, 8)

All Good Advice!!

Yes, i suppose it is due to the Fact that Cav, Kittel and Co r Kicking My Butt all over the shop that i am looking for that Extra Bit of Va va Voom, so look out!! The Mighty Thor will be back up amongst them all asap, whether it be on a New Bike, a Modified Bike or just a New Pair of Legs, 8) HaHa!!

Thanks Once Again Guys, 8)

• This is some joke right!?
  • No Joke Junglist m8? Why would it be a Joke? Just after some Friendly Advice? 8)

• If you tried writing in English people might be more helpful ;)
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    No Joke Junglist m8? Why would it be a Joke? Just after some Friendly Advice? 8)

If it really is Thor then my wife will be on here like a shot. She fookin loves you
  • HaHa!! Unfortunately for you all i am not the "Real" Thor Hushovd but i have been told that i Cycle Like Him, 8) :roll: HaHa!!

I too Love Thor as i think he is a "Beast on 2 Wheels"!! Great Cyclist!!

Thanks All Once again for the advice, :wink:

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Well you're certainly very fond of that 'beast on two wheels' catch phrase, that's for sure....
  • LegendLust wrote:

Obviously needs something to amuse himself now he's retired!

I think the excessive use of smilies are probably keeping him amused.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    This is rather amusing. You seriously need to work on your 'English' skillz however - it's a bit hard to read...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    This is rather amusing. You seriously need to work on your 'English' SKILLZ however - it's a bit hard to read...

Pot calling the kettle black?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    john1967 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    This is rather amusing. You seriously need to work on your 'English' SKILLZ however - it's a bit hard to read...

I take the Z to be irony. If not, declan1 needs an immediate ban!

And of course, I don't think the real Thor Hushovd would have ever been so crass as to use caps lock on his forum name :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    john1967 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Do you really think that's how I usually spell that word? Oh dear...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.