FD Problem

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Dropped down into East London on way home last night, extends my route to 28 miles and gives me a chance to pop in and see my Dad.

Coming home takes in quite a few hills and I had another cyclist jump in behind me. Not wanting to dissapoint I stayed in the big ring longer than normal and cranked up the first hill as far as I could then went to drop onto the small ring at the same time as knocking it down a couple on the back to maintain the momentum as much as possible. The rear changed, the front didn't...I'm now further into the hill and I'm in a bigger gear instead of smaller. I tried again, it didn't change. Matey still behind me. Thought the only way I might get it to change is to go onto the big ring at the back hoping the chain line would help pull it across....it did and I ended up in small front/big rear and pedalling like a freakin' lunatic. Boyo behind must have thought I was a right numpty.

He turned off at the top of the hill and as I rode over I shifted into the big ring to wind it up downhill and the chain fell right across and dumped itself on the crank. Cycled the rest of the way home trying to work out what could have happened.

This is what I found when I got home!.....

IMG_20130905_182132_zpseb88a832.jpg

2 year old 105 worn through. New Ultegra ordered last night, and a small ring pootle into work this morning.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've had that happen to a couple of 5600 105 FDs.

They are made of Tofu.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I've had that happen to a couple of 5600 105 FDs.

They are made of Tofu.
    Ah.That explains how I've bent one beyond repair and another that's bent once but no so bad that I couldn't recover it :( . Hope the 5700 one I've got to replace it when I put on the new chain is better. ;)