Reynolds Assaults - imperfections?

lef
lef Posts: 728
edited September 2013 in Road general
I've just received some warranty replacements and the rim quality does not seem great. The first set of wheels were sent back because of the same issue (and loose spokes). After many weeks waiting for replacements I get the same issue. Are imperfections like this normal? Personally I think not but wanted some second opinions. I'll be sending the photos onto the distributor later today so will let you know what they say. I've only previously had Easton full carbon wheels (tubs) and they certainly were not like this.

Photos here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47245403@N ... 398217319/

Comments

• If you mean the marks inside the wheel rim where the tube will sit then they're normal on carbon wheels. As it's not visible it wouldn't be worth the manufacturer tidying it up for the sake of it. If that was on the outside or on the brake track it's different but in there it's of no concern.

Did you get a good deal somewhere with the new shape 2014 ones coming out soon?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Put some tyres on there...problem solved...or buy some FFWD's much better quality :)
  • If you want perfection, don't buy carbon... the very nature of the material lends itself to imperfections. Often they get masked by tons of laquer, but in the case of rims they don't
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm gobsmacked that they actually replaced the first set... As others have said it's quite normal. In regards to loose spokes, factory wheels almost always need truing out of the box- again not a big deal.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lef
    my concerns aren't about prettiness but about the integrity of the carbon. The shop mechanic who saw the issue on the original set thought they should be replaced. Also the distributor did replace them without question. If it isn't an issue it seems odd they would replace. Anyway I'm asking for the distributor to comment but thought i would get some second opinions.

Yes got them for a good price.
  • lef
    Cheers, I would certainly prefer them to be okay so I can actually use them.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't think you have to worry bout the integrity of Reynolds wheels. They have one of the most thorough QA regimes in the business and you could do worse than have Paul Lew overseeing everything.

Here is a Reynolds clincher rim that exploded at 350psi. Like I said, you could do worse.
    IMG_6076-659x440.jpg
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg