Front wheel fouling on forks.

bikerad
bikerad Posts: 7
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had my Focus Northern Lite '09 for a few years after winning it in a wiggle competition and it has recently started to foul with the front wheel and the fork. It didn't use to have this problem and it has had the same rubber on since i got it.
Any help or incite would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bikerad

Comments

• What part is it fouling? Perhaps your wheel isn't true
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or loose, or many a thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • the wheel is central and i have replace the quick release and it is very tight. the edge of the tread is fouling
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so to repeat the first question asked.
    What part is it fouling?

you need to give way nor info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sorry i edited it just after posting to add that info
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    again more info.

edge or tread? what is that side top or?

if side then the tyre can not be central

wheel need re dishing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • its both sides doing it, the bit that is rubbing is this part http://puu.sh/4jZWA.jpg
  • cooldad
    Both sides? At the same time?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • no if you pedal it does one side then the other
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    nicklouse wrote:
    again more info.

edge or tread? what is that side top or?

Lol. It's like getting blood from a stone.....

To the OP, it may seem obvious what your talking about to you as you can visually see whats going on.... but we can't. It's always better to provide too much information on a forum than too little or all you'll get is loads of posts asking to clarify this or explain that. So start again... What's rubbing against what and where? When does it do it and under what conditions? What have you altered recently, if anything? Any pictures (always the biggest help as a single picture can save you post after post after post of trying to explain the bleeding obvious)?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    bikerad wrote:
    no if you pedal it does one side then the other

Which suggest the wheels bent or the tyres not on straight or the bearings have worn down allowing the the wheel to wobble from side to side. Take your pick.
  • cooldad
    So a buckled wheel.
    38951_422537593773_259055_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • okay lets try again then :L

the part of the tyre that is fouling is this part 4jZWA.jpg on this part of the fork 4k0Xs.jpg. the quick release is tight and has be replaced to try to fix the issue. the wheel when looked at is compleatly central and it does it on both sides of the fork under hard pedaling.
  • cooldad
    Ouija wrote:
    bikerad wrote:
    no if you pedal it does one side then the other

Which suggest the wheels bent or the tyres not on straight or the bearings have worn down allowing the the wheel to wobble from side to side. Take your pick.
    Or the wheel is a bit floppy.
    Or the cones are loose.
    Or the fork bushings are really shot.
    Ot the tyre is pregnant.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's touching both sides alternately then the wheel is 99% certain to be buckled, as your mechanical knowledge is clearly limited, a shop would be the best idea, between £10 and 20.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.