IMPORTANT INFO ON POSTING BIKES - edited

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
UPDATE BEFORE YOU READ POST - TNT STEPPED UP AND SORTED AND PAID OUT COMPENSATION SO DID DEMONSTRATE GOOD CUSTOMER CARE TO BE FAIR TO THEM. ENDED UP AN OK SITUATION IN THE END.

BE WARNED - DO NOT use a company called Paisley Freight or TNT to transport bikes.
If you sell a bike and need to post it use an alternative.

Just had my Ridley X-Fire returned to me as they described it as 'damaged in transit'

Snapped handlebars
Smashed front left shifter
Bent seat rails
Snapped seat post
Cracked chain stays
Broken derailleur hanger

Bear in ind this was professionally boxed up.

Use someone else, just flagging it in case anyone else is looking to send a bike by post.
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've used Paisley Freight in the past for various large items and never had a problem, maybe you just got unlucky, I think all these couriers can be bad at times.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • AndyD2574
    box1.jpg
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    So, they have returned it to you and told you it was damaged in transit - that sounds like they are holding their hands up to it, so that is a start.

Presuming you paid for an appropriate level of insurance, they should see you right yes?

Sadly, almost every courier company seems to have gorillas employed to handle the packages and sometimes things get really ****ed up like your package. I guess it is how they handle your case from here that shows whether they are good or bad.

Bad luck.
  • Jesus christ
  • Every large organisation can not get everything right 100% of the time. I've sent thousands of parcels with a whopping grand total of 3 that have been damaged. Quite a few of these that i've sent without problems have been with TNT.
  • Looks like King-Kong boogied all over your bike-box.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Every large organisation can not get everything right 100% of the time. I've sent thousands of parcels with a whopping grand total of 3 that have been damaged. Quite a few of these that i've sent without problems have been with TNT.

Exactly - it's how they respond when they get it wrong that determines how good they are. If I were the OP I would be waiting to see how they deal with putting things right before slating them on a public forum.
  • I'd also like to see if possible the damaged bike, rather than a crushed box.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Sorry to be flippant but...

Was it being delivered to the Isle of Sheppey?
  • looks like its been squashed into the lorry by a forklift pushing a pallet or something...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    morstar wrote:
    Sorry to be flippant but...

Was it being delivered to the Isle of Sheppey?

:D:D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Flippin eck, looks like it was delivered by Ace Ventura...

"Got a package people!"

ace-ventura-package-delivery-300x266.gif
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    box1.jpg

Second class airmail: they don't bother landing the plane to deliver your parcel
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • AndyD2574
    So an update -

Paisley Freight not answering phone or emails? The one clinical email I had first thing this morning said 'we are really sorry for your situation but as per our T&C's we wont be pursuing a claim'

TNT - wont speak to me as I am not the account holder EVEN THOUGH they promised me a call back today with an update on the situation!!

(I have the UK MD's name via Linkedin so will be making contact directly!)

I totally get that things get 'damaged in transit' and by that I would expect say a gash to the packaging or even 'slight' damage to the goods.........what I wouldn't expect and cant accept is that the contents of this box has been crushed!!

This is absolute negligence as there has been absolutely no duty of care so that's why I am so p1ssed off......Im sure you can all appreciate!

The bike is essentially snapped and to snap a carbon fibre cyclo-cross bike takes some force.......this has not just 'been dropped'.

Watch this space as I will be pursuing this to the absolute end.

Ill put up some pictures to show the actual damage to the bike soon.......there are lots!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    This is absolute negligence as there has been absolutely no duty of care so that's why I am so p1ssed off......Im sure you can all appreciate

No, can't really appreciate that because you haven't really given us much info. Eg whose responsibility it actually is and why and who the 'account holder' is and what were the conditions of transport etc. It's not necessarily negligence - how do you know, for example, that the vehicle your bike was being transported in wasn't involved in an accident? There's tedious process to be got through and if you can accept that and hopefully manage not to have fits at people (particularly the MD before it is clear that things are being badly handled) then you'll probably have a better chance at resolving this quickly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Was it not insured for posting?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    box1.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would have thought that this would be resolved fairly quickly and in your favour. I can't imagine for a moment that this can be a regular occurrence ... Logistics companies would be quickly going out of business if they were paying out massive compensation claims everytime they transport anything valuable or fragile neither would they want the adverse publicity. I can't imagine why I would be wanting to post my bike but provided that it was properly packaged and insured I wouldn't be over fussed about who did and I wouldn't pillory the company until I was aware of what had actually happened
  • Also, to the OP, please be aware that the claims process does not happen overnight, and you will NOT receive compensation straight away. It normally takes a week or two. In no way attempt to use that against the company and slander them.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    I can fully sympathise with the OP. At least the courier could be polite and communicate what the process is going to be. I would be utterly pi$$ed off too - its not your fault and something happened to it between the courier and Andy7564373838. in fact, I am surprised that they ven delivered the thing in that state. Were they trying to get it off their wagon asap so as to fudge the responsibility?

Keep us posted.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rolf_f
    in fact, I am surprised that they ven delivered the thing in that state. Were they trying to get it off their wagon asap so as to fudge the responsibility?

The impression I had was that the OP had sent it, the couriers had damaged it and returned it to the OP rather than delivering it. But none of this seems very clear to me! So far, the only thing we know is that the bike got damaged in transit and that Paisely Freight don't consider themselves responsible and that TNT are also somehow involved. But how they and TNT fit in and who the 'account holder' is is a mystery which hopefully the OP can explain.

So far what is clear is that it is a case of premature ranting!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I thought that TNT was what had been used to cause the damage :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    So the story as I understand it is that Andy sold his Ridley X, now more than ever aptly named, mainly 'cos the white saddle didn't match the black bar tape, but did look nice with the red forks, for a grand or so on August the 30th and sent it, having firstly called in the professional box fillers who did a lovely job and filled it as only they know how, we can't fill 'em like that can we?, via a company that I am not prepared to name on a public forum who used another company who are appropriately named for a business that could claim to work through the night to deliver it, payed for by the buyer, you know that bloke here on the forum with his own supply of white tape, AND IS THOROUGHLY PI55ED OFF, quite rightly so, as he has sold it, taken the money, the other bloke has payed for the bike and the postage and I imagine is even more pi55ed off than Andy, but is as yet unaware of what has happened until he reads this, Andy now has the bike back that he didn't want, and is rightly annoyed that no-one is responding as they should. Show some decorum, barstewards

I think it is quite understandable really :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    What's not to understand?
    Andy used Paisely Freight, who in turn used TNT.
    So TNT won't speak to Andy as he is not their customer, Paisely Freight is their customer.
  • rolf_f
    Percy Vera wrote:
    What's not to understand?
    Andy used Paisely Freight, who in turn used TNT.
    So TNT won't speak to Andy as he is not their customer, Paisely Freight is their customer.

If only this disaster had happened to you - things would have been so much clearer :lol:
  • AndyD2574
    Forums full of very supportive comments and total jokers. Never change I suppose.

Just to be clear Im not slandering or slagging anyone off, all Im doing is stating absolute fact.

I am the one who posted this bike as the sender and it has been returned to me as the sender as damaged in transit. I totally understand that compensation process takes a while but all Im doing is trying to flag it so if anyone needs to post a bike, find an alternative.

I have flagged across many forums to bring to peoples attention and canvass opinion on the best way forward which was a constructive email to the MD of the UK Operations today stating my case so we will see what the response is from that.

The bike was checked by my LBS today and as suspected its a total write off as the frame has twisted hence the crack in the seat stay....must have been the force or something?

Anyway for those that are interested Ill keep you updated and for those that want to gloat and take the p1ss.......fill yer boots. Cheers

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • rolf_f
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    I am the one who posted this bike as the sender and it has been returned to me as the sender as damaged in transit. I totally understand that compensation process takes a while but all Im doing is trying to flag it so if anyone needs to post a bike, find an alternative.

I'm sure it will work out fine but I sympathise with you over the hassle and pain. But I think it is a bit harsh to criticise the couriers yet. This probably isn't a case of careless handling (eg some idiot throwing the package around) - it is more likely a simple accident and that can happen to anyone. Fact is that there is no alternative courier that won't have done something similar in the past and won't do so again.
  • Nasty. Those photos give me the eebie-jeebies....
  • Pross
    As I said previously accidents happen so it is really only unfair to criticise if they then handle the situation badly. It now appears that Paisley Freight aren't handling it well if they are refusing to communicate with their client. I would have thought that in returning the bike as damaged in transit they have admitted liability. It is irrelevant to the OP if it was Paisley or TNT who damaged it, he only has a contract with with Paisley so it is up to them to rectify the situation and counter claim from TNT if appropriate (likewise the OP shouldn't be speaking directly to TNT).

It should be simple as everything should be covered by various insurances and this sort of thing must happen all the time. I would write to them by recorded post giving them a reasonable amount of time (28 days?) to resolve the issue and reimburse the full value of the bike plus your costs (phone calls, postage) and informing them that if you do not receive a satisfying outcome in that time you will start a claim through the Small Claims Court. In the meantime it is probably best not to go around making an active campaign against them on the Internet though.