Rochdale/Heywood/Castleton locals...

ratherbeintobago
ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
edited September 2013 in Routes
Is there anything rideable in the blank bit of the map north of the M62, between Green Lane and Castleton Moor?

Can't embed the map but this is the area I'm thinking about.

Piecing together some alternative routes.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Not sure exactly there, but there's some nice bits if you go up the canal a few k to Hollingworth Lake and pick up the Pennine Bridleway.
  • Usual loop involves going N from mine, up onto Rooley Moor Road and then E through Healey Dell, over Lobden golf course to Watergrove and return. Looking for something to the S as winter approaches.

There are some nice bits by Hollingworth, however, it's a fair old drag up the canal to Smithy Bridge from Castleton.

Other place I've not explored is Ashworth Moor, S of Edenfield Rd and W of Ashworth Rd.

Google directed me to Industrial Fell Biking but the forum seems to be dead (nothing in last two years, and even then it was mainly spam).
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    There are some nice bits by Hollingworth, however, it's a fair old drag up the canal to Smithy Bridge from Castleton.

I ride up there from Oldham, Hollingworth Lake takes about 50 minutes so not too bad.

If I lived near where you do I'd just ride up to Lee/Cragg.
  • In a word, no.

Where abouts are you? I'm guessing you live pretty local to that bit of town???

Root out Lee and Cragg quaries ( http://www.pmba.org.uk has a bit of info ) for a decent day out, the downside is you have to ride ALL the way up rooley moor towards the wind farm unless you have a car and drive to Bacup.

Failing that as you head over to Watergrove there are a few trails around there, mainly bridleways though but you can loop over the top (heading east along the PBW) in to the valley which the canal follows to todmorden, following a trail which will eventualy bring you over into Milnrow via Ogden res and piethorn valley. From there its an easy ride back down the canal to castleton.

That'd be a long ride if I'm honest but round here you're not stuck for a track.

p.s I live in Littleborough so watergrove is a regular loop for me and lobden is a long route home if I ride to work.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Oh, and the industrial fell biking looks like some guys "look at me I'm sponsored" blog.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thanks for above; have ridden up to Lee/Cragg but the drag up RMR is soul-crushing, and the run home back down is a good test of whether everything is properly screwed down on the bike.

Part of the issue at the moment is time limitation; need to ride from my door (Norden) and max ride time is about 90min at present for family reasons. As such, a 50min transit each way to Hollingworth is a non-starter, and also hence the wish to explore the local ROWs. I can get to the A58 and back via Crimble Mill and Springfield Park in about 45min riding, but with a longish road section linking the two legs and more time I reckon there must be something better.
    Oh, and the industrial fell biking looks like some guys "look at me I'm sponsored" blog.

It does a bit, yes. Don't think it started that way though.
  • Norden you say, do you know where Doctor Dam is in the dip near the bus terminal?

Go into there, head up to green booth res and there are a few trails around there.

I've been over Knowl Hill a few times but that's a killer of a climb especially in the wet!

I did hear rumors of a quarry in Norden through another forum but never got any further than that!
    Advocate of disc brakes.