Alex Dowsett

2»

Comments

• We don't really have any idea about Wiggins' form at the moment.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    We don't really have any idea about Wiggins' form at the moment.

But we do. He took 56" out of Cancellara and 1'14" out of Phinney on a 37k course 4 weeks ago

By contrast, Dowsett came 27th in the 22.8k course in Poitou Charentes 11 days ago
  • But we do. He took 56" out of Cancellara and 1'14" out of Phinney on a 37k course 4 weeks ago

By contrast, Dowsett came 27th in the 22.8k course in Poitou Charentes 11 days ago

Hmm, forgot about that.
  • I think it will be close between Dowsett and Phiney, also wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins 'has a mechanical' if he isn't matching Cancellaras time, guessing Martin will be last off? which will be a big advantage and one that could possibly be the difference
  • I think it will be close between Dowsett and Phiney, also wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins 'has a mechanical' if he isn't matching Cancellaras time, guessing Martin will be last off? which will be a big advantage and one that could possibly be the difference

Yes, because its always easy to fake a puncture and the like, isnt it :roll:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mechanism wrote:
    But we do. He took 56" out of Cancellara and 1'14" out of Phinney on a 37k course 4 weeks ago

Hmm, forgot about that.

But only came 4th in Poland against a not stellar field so his form is uncertain.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Probably more about where his heads at, I remember him turning around and riding back up the road in the tour of Britain last year to see where Cav was. Quite frustrating as he is a great rider but seems to have days where he can't be bothered/lacks motivation. Dowsett is hungry for it which helps.
  • morstar wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

Hmm, forgot about that.

But only came 4th in Poland against a not stellar field so his form is uncertain.

The TT course at Eneco was short and technical, and pretty much worlds away from the Firenze course. Just look at who took the places above Wiggins and Phinney. If Martin had ridden that course, I wouldnt have been surprised if he hadnt made the top 3 either. It wasnt a TT for the Martins, the Wiggins and the Cancellaras - however, the Worlds course absolutely is.

This was a discussion about Wiggins and Dowsett and form. I'd say that Dowsett's form isnt exactly certain, based on his last TT

But as Yellow Peril says, his skillz at rock-paper-scissors might just swing it :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I also here he is incredibly good atrock paper scissors which must be an indicator of TT success.
    He is? I take it his thumbs are better now? :mrgreen:

Yes, because its always easy to fake a puncture and the like, isnt it :roll:

not hard to fake gear problems......
  • Its an interesting discussion but I think we can agree that Chris Horner is going to win everything at the Worlds.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I think it will be close between Dowsett and Phiney, also wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins 'has a mechanical' if he isn't matching Cancellaras time, guessing Martin will be last off? which will be a big advantage and one that could possibly be the difference
    Well if he can't match Cancellara then there is no hope for gold at all as Canc is not going to get close to Martin this year I feel. However I think the accusation that Wiggo will quit is a bit harsh - he raced all the way for silver in 2011.

Got to be a Wiggo v Martin contest this one. I just really hope they both arrive in tip top form and we get a proper contest and not a 50sec drubbing for either rider.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    Its an interesting discussion but I think we can agree that Chris Horner is going to win everything at the Worlds.

Womens Elite RR, Mens U23 TT, Junior Womens RR...

You might be right :wink:
  • Daz555 wrote:
    I think it will be close between Dowsett and Phiney, also wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins 'has a mechanical' if he isn't matching Cancellaras time, guessing Martin will be last off? which will be a big advantage and one that could possibly be the difference
    Well if he can't match Cancellara then there is no hope for gold at all as Canc is not going to get close to Martin this year I feel. However I think the accusation that Wiggo will quit is a bit harsh - he raced all the way for silver in 2011.

Got to be a Wiggo v Martin contest this one. I just really hope they both arrive in tip top form and we get a proper contest and not a 50sec drubbing for either rider.

Agree - and quality frequent timing splits...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Daz555 wrote:

You did see Canc put a chunk into Martin the other day didn't you?

If he has 'targeted' it (like he did the classics) then I really can't look by the big man to be honest, Geraint Thomas said in a pre race interview at flanders "the form he is on I don't think anyone will be able to hold his wheel" and we all know how that ended.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Yeah Fabian hasn't really targeted the TT for the last few years instead aiming more for the road race, but he looks like he is going well in them, but we can't forget that ride Tony Martin did the other week where he rode solo for almost all the stage and got caught at the last minute it will be a good battle. Would love it if Canc did the double or for Gilbert retained the stripes