These So Called "Smart" Watches

2»

Comments

• paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    number 5 is a good one:

5. Find the location of smart devices when they have been misplaced by making them beep, illuminate and vibrate.

or you could just ring the phone :P
  • CiB wrote:
    The Telegraph as always is the answer to our need for unbiased correct thinking and opinion.

8 things you can do with it.

The answer to a question that no-one's thought to ask seems to be the best summary so far.

So they're basically saying its an extension to your phone (preview texts/emails/calls, take photos and video etc etc) meaning that you rarely have to take the phone out of your pocket/handbag etc. Which begs the question, why the need for the phone in the first place?

If you could make the screen bigger - or foldable thus still compact like the one Samsung themselves have developed - on said watch and give it a juiced up memory and processor then the phone would become redundant. Or am I reading too much into this? :?
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    24/7 heartrate monitor connectivity applications:
    1. Link to correlate sudden HR surge correlating with facial/boob/butt recognition on google glasses, cross-check facebook status and send hello message to person of interest.
    2. Link to other half to warn of sudden HR surge correlating with facial/boob/butt recognition on google glasses.
    3. Link to local constabulary to warn passing coppers of sudden HR surge in response to proximity.
    4. Link to your car/train/aircraft on-board computer to bring vehicle to safe stop on detecting loss of signal.
    5. Link to ambulance 999 service in case of loss of signal.
    6. Link to your insurance provider so they can automatically cancel life insurance on detecting loss of signal.
    7. Link to your solicitor and funeral parlour in case of loss of signal.
  • What a waste of R&D.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I stopped wearing a watch about the same time I started cycling which is a shame as I have a few lovely pieces but this appeals to me if they have a strava type app, i'm so in.

Imagine being able to see your KOM or PB attempt progress in real-time, that would tip me over the edge :twisted:

I NEED THIS FUNCTIONALITY
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    paul_mck wrote:
    call and text notifications while cycling will be a big thing for me. I NEVER hear or feel my phone go while its in my back pocket :(

That to me is a positive- when on the bike I do not want to be hearing calls / texts. I can live without having to respond instantly to communications
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    paul_mck wrote:
    call and text notifications while cycling will be a big thing for me. I NEVER hear or feel my phone go while its in my back pocket :(

That to me is a positive- when on the bike I do not want to be hearing calls / texts. I can live without having to respond instantly to communications

Unless it is immediately after you've left for work and its the Mrs calling to let you know you have forgotten your wallet/keys/shirt/pants etc. Or it's work calling to tell you to take the day off.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    paul_mck wrote:
    number 5 is a good one:

5. Find the location of smart devices when they have been misplaced by making them beep, illuminate and vibrate.

or you could just ring the phone :P

If the phone is on silent or doesn't have a network signal? Mind u - Apple have got a way around this with the "Find my iPhone" feature - you can make it sound even if it's on silent - it just needs a data connection - wifi or mobile network... Android have similar?
  • slowbike
    itboffin wrote:
    I stopped wearing a watch about the same time I started cycling which is a shame as I have a few lovely pieces but this appeals to me if they have a strava type app, i'm so in.

Imagine being able to see your KOM or PB attempt progress in real-time, that would tip me over the edge :twisted:

I NEED THIS FUNCTIONALITY
    Mount your smartphone on your bars and subscribe to Strava Premium ... job done.
  • slowbike
    spen666 wrote:
    paul_mck wrote:

I have a different ringtone for my wife - if I hear her ring then it might be important as she knows I'm on my bike - otherwise it can usually wait until I've got somewhere to stop ...

One time I didn't hear it was when we'd split our rides - she went with some friends and I continued alone - she had an off and mangled her gears - tried to call me, but the phone was on silent.... I hope she's forgotten about it now!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    spen666 wrote:
    paul_mck wrote:

If they can get my damn housemate/sister/mother/any number of female friends and acquaintances to notice that I'm calling them whilst their phones in their Fffffffffffffflipping handbag I'd gladly supply them all with one even if they cost 1000 pounds...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • It's a product specificially for this group of fatties (taken at the Tour de Broads sportive this weekend)....

1473270278.jpg

To go with their £10k Carbon bikes; the "all the gear, no idea, but it's a shed load flasher than yours" type
  • It's a product specificially for this group of fatties (taken at the Tour de Broads sportive this weekend)....

1473270278.jpg

To go with their £10k Carbon bikes; the "all the gear, no idea, but it's a shed load flasher than yours" type

Where on earth did the guy in the MET helmet go to get it fitted?!
  • Lots of these smart watches now being announced, but they won't take off until manufacturers come up with a much more battery efficient means of communication between them. With bluetooth on, my phone needs charging every single day (as opposed to every 3 days), 2 days with WiFi (but WiFi sleeps after a set time anyway).
    A smart watch is going to need at least half it's weight in battery if it's to last more than 24 hours.
  • I've got a £20 first generation sony liveview smartwatch. It works with any android phone not just sony ones. I find it really useful when riding as I can look at the bars and see who's calling me or sent me a text so I can decide whether its important enough to stop and answer/reply. It vibrates quite powerfully so you can feel it in the bars when you get a notification.

It comes with two brackets, one that's a watch strap and one that slides onto clothing, I use the sliding one to mount it ontop of my bike cam with two small cable ties.
    bikecomp_zps9badc002.jpg
    I have a plugin for mytracks which is useful as it shows all the info, curren/ average speed, altitude etc.. and also have a few other plugins such as a speedo and map.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    thanks for that untaken i've just bought one of those, it will be of no use as i live in the middle of nowhere and no one calls me but heh! it looks cool 8-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.