Bikes in a car question

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone *know* the answer to this?

Take one 2006 RR and one road bike. Remove front and rear wheels from the road bike. Will the frame fit in the back of the RR with the rear seats still in place? Doesn't matter whether the frame is standing upright or lying on its side.

Surprisingly hard to find an answer via google, I'm finding.

The answer is "Yes. Easily". :wink:
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Not sure many people stick their road bike in the back of their Rolls Royce.
  • Range Rover.

Rollers are dead shit for this sort of thing.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I doubt it. I once had my 56cm BMC upright in the back of a Seat Alhambra with wheels on, but the seats had to be folded flat. Looking at RR boot there doesn't look to be enough on the diagonal to accomodate it even without wheels.

Course if you have this accessory kit fitted you've got no chance.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    With the wheels and saddles removed, I've managed to fit three bikes and three adults (one driver, two passengers) in my car and it is CONSIDERABLY smaller than a Range Rover.

Have you tried or are you asking a tremendously specific question just on a punt that someone else has already done it and was so proud of themselves that they had to share it online?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Anyone *know* the answer to this?

Take one 2006 RR and one road bike. Remove front and rear wheels from the road bike. Will the frame fit in the back of the RR with the rear seats still in place? Doesn't matter whether the frame is standing upright or lying on its side.

Surprisingly hard to find an answer via google, I'm finding.

Was expecting to see a question abou whether you should leave a window open so that the carbon didn't melt :roll:

So is it actually the case that a bog standard 5-door hatchback will happily take a bike with wheels removed, but one of those Beckhamwagons is too small?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'd be very surprised if you can't; I can fit any of my 56/57cm bikes quite easily into the boot of my Mazda 5, which I suspect is a bit smaller, without removing the saddle. The way I do it is to lie it across the car on it's left-hand side, with the chainstays against the back of the right-hand seat, and the bars rotated through 90 degrees. In my case the left-hand pedal sits in an alcove behind the seats, but it would be easy enough to remove it if necessary. For a significantly smaller boot, removing the seatpost and taking the stem off the steerer would reduce the space requirement significantly.
    The key dimension is the distance from rear mech to front dropouts which has to be less than the width of the forward part of the boot (which should be easy to check).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The trick is to get it in without touching the rear seats. Years ago I had a Golf. With the rear seats down, you could pretty well get another Golf in it. With the rear seats up, less so. I'm curious to know what these things will carry without faffing around with the rear seats.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tgotb
    The trick is to get it in without touching the rear seats.
    Don't know about the others, but that's what I meant. Quite often do it if I'm racing the track or TT bike after work, as I can leave the car parked near the venue with the bike (and wheels) in the boot, hidden under the parcel shelf.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Anyone ever got a road bike in the back of a z4? New shape hardtop one?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tgotb
    Tonight's challenge, in preparation for trip to the Alps, is to see whether I can get two bikes into the boot. Need to leave the car in a hotel car park overnight, so not keen to put the seats down (or take one of the bikes into the hotel)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I will discover on Saturday whether you can get 3 bikes in the boot of a Mazda 6 Estate. I ruddy well hope so!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiU0jqp8AfA

I was searching for the exact same question but with a Volvo S60!

As an aside I know a guy blinded himself in one eye....he did it opening champagne whilst sitting on the back of his Range Rover!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My bike goes into the boot of an S40 with the rear seats up, as long as I remove both wheels and the saddle. As the S60 is a bit bigger in all dimensions and there's not much in it in the 40 I'd assume yes, unless you ride with a load of seat post showing.
  • My bike goes in the back of a Mini provided you take the two whales and two elephants out first :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Mine went in the back of a Volvo V40 and in the back of a Honda Accord estate without trouble or folding the seats down. Don't see why a Range Rover couldn't fit one in easily!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    More's the question, why have you made such a poor choice in vehicle? I mean a Range Rover ...... are you an aspiring footballer :wink: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • At least you lot know what vehicle you're talking about... I get the lottery of trying to fit two bikeboxalans in the back of a 'medium-large sized family car - Golf or equivalent' in just over a week, daren't risk the 'medium - Polo or equivalent'...
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • If you're talking about the definitive Golf, then yes, I can get a bike or two in the boot of an Octavia (VRS with a bit of added go faster tinkering). So I doubt you'd have a problem in a Range Rover.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • At least you lot know what vehicle you're talking about... I get the lottery of trying to fit two bikeboxalans in the back of a 'medium-large sized family car - Golf or equivalent' in just over a week, daren't risk the 'medium - Polo or equivalent'...

Ah - that, I can help with.

Rears seats down in a Fiesta swallowed a BBA no trouble. I'm pretty sure fora while we had mine and another BBA loaded in the back of an equally small Fiat or Citroen, or something, over Marmotte weekend. Hatches on superminis are surprisingly wide, and with the seats down there's plenty of length.

Annoyingly, although the boot of Mrs 66's A8 will take just about anything we throw in it, a BBA won't fit. Roof rails...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dilemna wrote:
    More's the question, why have you made such a poor choice in vehicle? I mean a Range Rover ...... are you an aspiring footballer :wink: ?

It's not a RR Sport, my boy. It's a Full Fat RR.

I do *not* live in Cheshire, and my other car is not a white Bentley Continental, I'll have you know :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If it's of any help, my 58cm Roubaix frame fits easily across the back of a (D3/4) Discovery, and the FFRR boot is a similar (albeit smaller) width.
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:
    Tonight's challenge, in preparation for trip to the Alps, is to see whether I can get two bikes into the boot. Need to leave the car in a hotel car park overnight, so not keen to put the seats down (or take one of the bikes into the hotel)
    Mission accomplished: CX and road bikes nicely stacked underneath the parcel shelf, with a pair of skis underneath (sticking out between the back seats, obviously) and two pairs of wheels on top :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I put my Felt Z6, with the front wheel off, into the back seat of my BMW 3 series every day. The rear wheel stays on and the saddle stays up in it's full riding position. I can have it out the car, front wheel on and off on my last 13 miles within a minute or so. My seats don't fold so i have to get it onto the back seat.

"Where there's a will there's a way" has always been my approach to car packing!
  • The answer to my question, it appears, is "yes, easily".

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The answer to my question, it appears, is "yes, easily".
    I do believe the correct online etiquette is to say POIDH and for you to post a 13 minute video on youtube documenting the whole procedure.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!