No police action without corroboration

Roberto di Velo
Roberto di Velo Posts: 127
edited November 2013 in Campaign
I got chatting to a guy in our local hospital outpatients department (don't ask). Turns out that he'd had quite a nasty accident some time back; driver pulled out from junction onto him, resulting in a totalled bike and a crushed foot. 3 months down the line the foot is still not right and he's not been able to return to work.

However, what I found most surprising is that the police told him they couldn't take any action against the driver without independent witnesses. Seems crackers to me. Is this right? Is this normal?

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    It certainly isn't right - I know of caseat least one case where the police charged a biker with careless/dangerous riding (i forget which) when they came off with no other vehicles involved or even present to witness it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Not right. You've got corroboration of the circumstance.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Was this in Scotland perhaps. It is indeed the case in Scotland that a case needs two independent pieces of evidence for a conviction. They are trying to change this but when is anybody's guess. They powers that be seems to have something else on their minds just now. Something to do with a referendum.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks