Shoes

wgwarburton
wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi,
I'm going to need new commuting shoes, soon. My current ones are leaking through the soles, which seems to be unavoidable with ones that have knockouts for SPDs.
Anyone recommend any non-SPD shoes for cycling? I use toe-clips on all my bikes, except the Brommie, and don't plan on changing to clipless.
Ideally, I'd like something that looks like a fairly conservative training shoe or low-cut outdoor-sports shoe... Stiff soles for the bike but OK to walk in.
Five Tens look promising but are expensive... Anyone tried them? How do the soles hold up to use on "rat trap" pedals?
Thanks...

Cheers,
W.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Don't a lot of SPD shoes have rubber sections covering the cleat holes that you have to cut out? In which case you shouldn't have a leak issue if you just leave the cover in place.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DZR shoes have cut-outs; also reflective logos on the heels and a tuck band for the laces. However, my commuting pair are wearing badly (heel "cup" between inner lining & exterior has disintegrated; hole worn between toe exterior & side by flexing), so I wouldn't recommend them for longevity. They are, however, very comfortable & unassuming.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Five Tens look promising but are expensive... Anyone tried them? How do the soles hold up to use on "rat trap" pedals?

They are good. The fact that MTBers use them suggests they'll stand up to all sorts of abuse!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    davis wrote:

They are good. The fact that MTBers use them suggests they'll stand up to all sorts of abuse!

OK, so I got some Five Ten Freeriders at Christmas. So far so good- they are just the job- comfortable to ride in and to walk in, look fine and are wearing OK so far. Will obviously have to see how they work out over the longer term but signs are vastly more encouraging than for anything else I've seen or tried in years!

Cheers,
    W.