Bike fit. Well worth it for a beginner.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I bought my first road bike a couple of months ago. Seemed to be between a 56 and a 54 and eventually went for the 56.

I fiddled around with seat positions and eventually settled on something based on lots of forum investigation and watching videos. The difficulty was that being a beginner it was hard to know what felt horrible because it was wrong, and what felt horrible because I was unfit and not used to riding.

Anyway, yesterday I lashed out £50 for a professional bike fit. Computers, video, angles etc. The fitter moved things a lot more than I ever would have, even for experimentation. He changed saddle height, saddle position, cleat position and even adjusted my gears to run smoother. He also confirmed saddle size, stem length etc. we're all correct for me.

I rode home afterwards (30 miles) and the bike felt way better. More power, less strain, more speed.

Bottom line is that I will now stop fiddling until I am completely fit. If there is a problem it is me, not the bike setup.

I can thoroughly recommend this process to any road beginner.

On another matter, the shop was full of middle aged men getting into bikes. Some for the first time, some after a break of many years. Is this the new demographic? Men with money, time, and a fitness concern? And the time to go shopping mid week.

Comments

• Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    Google 'mamil':)
  • Where did you get all that done for 50 £?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    On another matter, the shop was full of middle aged men getting into bikes. Some for the first time, some after a break of many years. Is this the new demographic? Men with money, time, and a fitness concern? And the time to go shopping mid week.
    Nail on head. Disposable income, more time, and fitness. Add on fuel costs.

All other hobbies require planning & partners - squash, golf, football with the lads, a pint or two down the local. Your bike is always there ready to go when you are, and people are latching onto this.

Add on all the toys you can get these days - bike computer, Strava app, Garmin etc navigation, HRM, all the web interfaces for these things, proper warm clothing etc. There's no down side to cycling and being a cyclist.
  • On another matter, the shop was full of middle aged men getting into bikes. Some for the first time, some after a break of many years. Is this the new demographic? Men with money, time, and a fitness concern? And the time to go shopping mid week.

Yes pretty much. The likes of myself, I cycled a lot from 19-22 but then I stopped when I started working full time. Then at 35 I was unfit and overweight so decided to get back into it, and very glad I did.
  • Where did you get all that done for 50 £?

Hargroves Cycles, Totton.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277

Made the Mrs laugh.

That'd be me and I'd hazzard a guess most of the others I see out riding locally. That said I've seen a fair few middle aged couples out recently which I find encouraging