Climbing out of the saddle?

rustncogs
rustncogs Posts: 84
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I seem to have some mental block about this or something.
On the single-speed the only way to get up some hills was to get out of the saddle and hoof up them, but since investing in the geared bike I can't seem to get into doing anything more than sitting and spinning.
I don't know why, it just doesn't feel right or something.

Has anyone else had trouble with this? Any tips?

It's weird because I noticed when there's a situation I want to get out of like around traffic or getting off a roundabout I'll do it without thinking and haul out of there.
FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"

Comments

• Just shift into a gear that requires a little extra work and 'hoof' up it? Sure there's nothing wrong with sitting in a low gear and spinning up the climb, but I always find I'm quicker out the saddle in a suitable gear.
  • I used to find it weird and avoid it. Go find some really steep hills where you will only make it standing up. Soon get used to it then. I dont mind standing up at all now.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Was never able to do it on my hybrid, but perfectly happy doing it on the roadbike. As said above, just shift up a gear or two and get out of the saddle. I find switching between sitting and being out of the saddle helps on long climbs.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    I really like getting out the saddle on a long climb, just standing up and looking at a point high on the hill and just start climbing
  • I've only been starting to do it recently, specifically since my new wheels has made climbing a bit easier. Even then it's only a few seconds at a time. I've tried it before and tried to sustain it for a long time and it hasn't worked, so now I use it sparingly and only for a little bit of extra speed now and again.

Best thing has been changing my hand hold technique, standing while holding the tops doesn't work, have to hold the hoods.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    rustncogs wrote:
    I seem to have some mental block about this or something.
    On the single-speed the only way to get up some hills was to get out of the saddle and hoof up them, but since investing in the geared bike I can't seem to get into doing anything more than sitting and spinning.

I always spin up the hills but at the weekend I found a couple of hills long enough and steep enough that gave me no option but to stand up and pedal hard, even though I was in my lowest 26 tooth cog.
  • Getting out of the saddle just gives certain muscle groups a relative breather. That's a weird lowest cog diamonddog.
  • diamonddog
    Getting out of the saddle just gives certain muscle groups a relative breather. That's a weird lowest cog diamonddog.
    11/26 cassette 50/34 chainset should have made it clearer. :oops:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Coming from mtb-ing I never did it as I was used to the back wheel spinning in the loose stuff, so when I made the switch I kind of had a mental block too!
    After 6 months or so watching others do it, I started to do a little bit here and there and slowly built it up to the point where I now find switching position from sitting to standing, and back actually seems to give me a bit of a rest as it does work different muscles.
    I'm still at the stage where I have to actively think about controlling my breathing to stop it racing away, but it is a definite advantage on long, steep climbs and I now do it more and more often on average stuff :wink:
  • im a heavy rider and find standing really hard work. but iv started concentrating on getting my hill speeds up. i push hard sat down in a high gear when i feel the speed slow i stay in the high gear and stand for as long as i can, then when its really hurting, focus on something on the road, parked car or next lamp post, anything really and really force myself to reach that before i sit back down, once i give in and sit i have to change down and spin it out, but each time i manage to get that little bit further up the hill and slowly its working for me
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    If you don't need to get out of the saddle then don't worry about it, you fatigue more quickly stood up. If you hit anything steep enough to require it you will find yourself doing it automatically.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Its useful on a short sharp ramp to get out of the saddle, on the drops, and power up it in the big ring Pantani style.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I find in my lowest gear i spin too much when standing and it doesn't feel comfortable at all. if i drop it a couple of gears up then it's much better and more comfortable. the granny ring is not always the right gear.
  • I use it to keep the pace up on shorter hills, instead of changing down.

Jump up and throw your weight forward as you pull up and keep the pedals spinning.

For longer hills I try and alternate as I figure overgeared climbing like that is best in short bursts, best change down and spin once you feel the speed start to drain.

But don't listen to me, I'm not a great climber yet, just the one KOM with a positive gradient and I'm 1 of 2!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    diamonddog wrote:
    Getting out of the saddle just gives certain muscle groups a relative breather. That's a weird lowest cog diamonddog.

It is the 11/26 that he was referring to as unusual.

Normal cassette small rings are generally 23/25/27 or even 28. 26 is unusual.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

13/26 is/was normal for 8 speed cassettes - I know that 2010 Spec Allezs came with that as default (and 52/39 up front).
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • diamonddog
    smidsy wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

Just to clarify it's a Sram PG 1050 10 speed cassette which seems to be part of the range they offer. :)
  • will climbing out of the saddle strengthen the legs muscles quicker than just sitting,hence making climbing easier in the long run....a mate told me this but I don't know :!: :?:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • They have to support more weight whilst you are up, so are working harder. So logically yes.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    26 is pretty common, with sram anyway. use 11-26 + 52-36 myself.
  • Long hill: spin in granny gear
    Medium hill: leave it a gear or two high, and pull on the clips, give your main (pedal pushing) motor muscles a rest.
    Short hill: up another gear or two and stand, but you will fatigue very quickly unless you are used to it.

Where I live, the hills are many kilometers long, so I don't have much of a standing habit. I used to MTB in Yorkshire where I would stand much more often.

I don't find any of the bar positions on a road bike good for standing, for this, they're no substitute for the straight bars of an MTB, and I'm not confident that if I hit a pot-hole, I'm be able to keep hold.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    try not to totally straighten your legs when standing, bend the knees, this helps with lifting the weight (you) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    There's a hill which I use which is has a 17% gradient according to the sign on the side of the road, and with me being new to cycling on a Campangnolo centaur red 12-25 compact 34/50 in granny ring and biggest at the bike, my legs struggle going up it
  • Doing 'The Beast' last weekend, a lot of climbing involved, but again I would mostly stay seated and spin up. Quite often I'd find I was going faster than someone next to me standing and looking like they were putting a lot of effort in.