150mm 160mm forks?

Sambuca
Sambuca Posts: 116
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Building up a heavy duty trail / mini dh bike and need forks, budget around £400-£450 ish , can't find anything available to fit the spec,
15mm axle/ 34-36 stanction/ 150-160 travel, tapered ,
Can't get Marzocchi 55cr,(wrong axle) XFusion Slant (out of stock) new Pike a stretch of budget but not available yet,
Any suggestions to fit the bill.

Comments

• how about rs sektors cheap but bombproof
  • What frame
  • What he said ^

...but for the riding you describe and budget you state I'd be looking at a Lyrik myself
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Lyrik isn't available with a 15mm axle.
  • rockshox revs? EASILY find a model within that range that is bound to suit ur riding. Alot of them are 150-160mm and are tapered
  • Lyrik isn't available with a 15mm axle.

What he said ^

...but for the riding you describe I'd be looking at a Lyrik and a £180 Stan's Flow build from Superstar

:D

EDIT : they've only got 29er Flows left :(
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockshox revs? EASILY find a model within that range that is bound to suit ur riding. Alot of them are 150-160mm and are tapered

Revs are a bit flexy for mini dh type stuff.
    They are 150mm max, not 150-160
  • Fair enough, out of curiousity what about being flexy makes them bad for mini dh?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They flex.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Flex makes it difficult to hold a line.
  • A fork that flexes badly can pretty much throw you off a bike.

Couple of years back i was tester a butcher with 150mm 32 fox on it, threw me off the bike with a large audible twang in a corner, wouldnt touch those 32's again now... they scare me.
  • cooldad wrote:
    They flex.
    No, that can't possibly be the answer.
    A fork that flexes badly can pretty much throw you off a bike.

Couple of years back i was tester a butcher with 150mm 32 fox on it, threw me off the bike with a large audible twang in a corner, wouldnt touch those 32's again now... they scare me.

Someone told me fox flex alot more then rockshox. Didn't really mean much to me then but I guess it's relevant now. I also guess its dependant on the model and stanchion diameter etc. Your're all scaring me now I chuck my revs down dh tracks pretty much everyday - hopefully I've learnt to embrace the flex opposed to not expieriencing it yet
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Forks that flex enough to throw you off a bike sounds a little exaggerated to me.

They'll just make it harder to hold a line and your steering won't be as accurate. They also become less sensitive where the stanchions no longer run parallel with the lowers and can bind a little bit.

While I love my Revs and would normally highly recommend them I don't think they're right for your use. They are at the lighter end for the type of riding you describe. Yes they do the job but I think there are better options available.
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 116
    Marzocchi 55cr are available from Bikestore uk, listed as 170mm but with spacer can be reduced to 150mm, will mean changing wheel set though to accommodate 20mm axle, anyone got experience running these?
  • Tapered rev's are actually pretty stiff imo... would be my choice on an enduro bike that for sure (only if they still did the dual air blackbox version...fark I loved those things)