Nukeproof Mega Tr vs Transition Bandit 3

badogblue
badogblue Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have finally decided to buy a new bike (replacing my 2007 Norco 4x). Looking to spend around £2500.

I have been looking at Nukeproof Mega Tr, which I can get at my local bs for £2250. (RRP £2700)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-mega-tr-rockshox-monarch-rt3-2013/rp-prod87480

Then there is the Transition Bandit 3 for £2575 online.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2013/Bikes_Bandit26_3.cfm

What you think is better, the Nukeproof is cheaper but there are less reviews. Have MBUK/WMB reviewed it?

Also any other suggestions? Looking for something in the 140mm category built for aggressive trail riding in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Stumpjumper fsr comp evo?
  • 1340jas wrote:

It's the one in the second link (vital mtb), with 26" wheels.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Check out the Transiton Bandit, it has great reviews
  • Have a look at the Giant Trance SX.
    Giant have just put the uk model on their website. Looks very good and similar value to the Nukeproof.
    Im going to be buying a new xc bike soon and its between the Trance SX and Mega TR for me.
  • ej2320 wrote:

Another great bike, getting overwhelmed with choice, Most of these bikes seem to be sold out of 2013 range :(

ej2320: What bike you go for in the end? I saw you were initially looking at the mega?
  • ej2320
    Have a look at the Giant Trance SX.
    Giant have just put the uk model on their website. Looks very good and similar value to the Nukeproof.
    Im going to be buying a new xc bike soon and its between the Trance SX and Mega TR for me.

Using the term XC very lightly.. ;)
  • ej2320
    badogblue wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Another great bike, getting overwhelmed with choice, Most of these bikes seem to be sold out of 2013 range :(

ej2320: What bike you go for in the end? I saw you were initially looking at the mega?

I'm not exactly sure what you're after but I wanted the cliche 'Do it all' bike. A bike I can ride XC or take to a bike park and smash down a DH track.

My short list was;
    .Mega AM
    .Mega TR
    .Santa Cruz Bronson
    .Transition Bandit
    .Transition Covert
    .Banshee Rune
    .Banshee Spitfire
    .Cube Fritzz 2014

Bronson was too expensive
    The were some bad experiences with the Banshee suspension system so I ruled it out
    There was no middle ground with the Cube, either a cheaper £2,200 model or a pricey £3,200 model, just not that one fully utilising my budget

So it was between the Nukeproofs and Transitions
    I then went between the Mega AM and Covert
    2014 Transitions at eurobike (Like you said the 2013 sold out) and chatting to Lars at Transition and then pre order deal at my LBS, I was sold on the Covert 27.5. Great guys over at Transition and very helpful.

I would say demo but then again it's quite hypocritical when I didn't.. I'd still advise it however
    Either way, both the Nukeproofs and Transitions are awesome..
  • ej2320
    There are some Nukeproof reviews around but you have to really search

From what I gather it's very similar to the Bandit, Rides up with ease and bombs down

It's a good offer on the Mega TR at your LBS as long as you don't mind running 1x10

Where are you based? Sounds similar to one of my LBS...
    ( I also had the same budget as you but I pushed it up to £2,700 to get a awesome build)
  • ej2320 wrote:
    badogblue wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you're after but I wanted the cliche 'Do it all' bike. A bike I can ride XC or take to a bike park and smash down a DH track.

My short list was;
    .Mega AM
    .Mega TR
    .Santa Cruz Bronson
    .Transition Bandit
    .Transition Covert
    .Banshee Rune
    .Banshee Spitfire
    .Cube Fritzz 2014

Bronson was too expensive
    The were some bad experiences with the Banshee suspension system so I ruled it out
    There was no middle ground with the Cube, either a cheaper £2,200 model or a pricey £3,200 model, just not that one fully utilising my budget

So it was between the Nukeproofs and Transitions
    I then went between the Mega AM and Covert
    2014 Transitions at eurobike (Like you said the 2013 sold out) and chatting to Lars at Transition and then pre order deal at my LBS, I was sold on the Covert 27.5. Great guys over at Transition and very helpful.

I would say demo but then again it's quite hypocritical when I didn't.. I'd still advise it however
    Either way, both the Nukeproofs and Transitions are awesome..

Thanks for the advice! Probably looking something with a bit less suspension than you.

I think my choices are: Nukeproof mega Tr 2013 or wait until next year.

I wish I could demo some bikes, but none of my local bs do so. (Live in Northern Ireland, CRC is my main bs)

If only there was more reviews for the mega Tr; it featured in MBUK 25th Anniversary edition Dream build but was never reviewed.

At the end of the day for £2250 I can get the mega tr at my local bs and that seems like a good deal to me!
  • ej2320
    Yea wanted a do it all machine but both of my 2 finalists are slightly bigger versions of what you were looking at..

The Mega TR is not a 2013 or 2014 specific model but they are discontinuing the Mega 26" complete builds and going for Mega 650b builds and then 26" frame only hence the discount.

My 2014 Transition is due November, the 2014 Bandit now also has 140mm rear travel
  • ej2320 wrote:

if its not downhill then its xc. Some of us like to take in some road gaps and steep rocky ugly stuff on a cross country ride.
    I don't believe we need all these categories when it all used to just be called mountain biking.

• ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

if its not downhill then its xc. Some of us like to take in some road gaps and steep rocky ugly stuff on a cross country ride.
    I don't believe we need all these categories when it all used to just be called mountain biking.

I understand what you mean, but most people associate XC with hardtails and Lycra..
  • Got it down to 2, please vote which one you think is best!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I voted other.
    I'm hoping everybody else does as well and your head explodes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I voted other.
    I'm hoping everybody else does as well and your head explodes.

Lol, thanks for that.
  • ej2320
    I would say look into a custom build with the bandit

I found a custom build with the covert was about £500 cheaper

£1450 bandit frame (with Fox float CTD Kashima- £1250 with RS Monarch R)
    £300 - Hope hub/Stans or Mavic rim
    £350 - Full SLX Inc. Brakes (IMO 10 times better than the SRAM x5,x7 and x9 and SLX brakes 100x better than Avids)
    £600 - RS Pikes, £400-500 RS Revs
    You see where I'm going with this...
    And that's all brand new so you could get it cheap with 2nd hand parts

However as much as it pains me to say it if you buy a complete bike I'd go for the Nukeproof
  • I looked at a custom build but at this price range you can't beat the complete bikes unless you buy used parts!
    ej2320 wrote:
    However as much as it pains me to say it if you buy a complete bike I'd go for the Nukeproof

Why, what put you off the Nukeproof?

If I where to go for the bandit, it would have to be the Bandit 2, as the Bandit 3 has too low a spec (x5/x7 build). Yet I can't find a reduced Bandit 2, cheapest I've seen is £3250. (In the bikeradar review is was £2900 :?:)
  • cooldad
    Read one of his many threads on the subject, and be wary of taking advice from strangers who've never actually ridden the bikes, but have read random stuff on the internet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    badogblue wrote:
    I looked at a custom build but at this price range you can't beat the complete bikes unless you buy used parts!
    ej2320 wrote:

Why, what put you off the Nukeproof?

If I where to go for the bandit, it would have to be the Bandit 2, as the Bandit 3 has too low a spec (x5/x7 build). Yet I can't find a reduced Bandit 2, cheapest I've seen is £3250. (In the bikeradar review is was £2900 :?:)

Fair enough

Nothing put me off the nukeproof, I just have a thing for Transition ;)

The review was from the 2012 model and your looking at the 2013 one, nothing changed expect the RRP.. :L
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Read one of his many threads on the subject, and be wary of taking advice from strangers who've never actually ridden the bikes, but have read random stuff on the internet.

FYI I've tested the Bandit and ridden a Nukeproof round a LBS car park
  • ej2320 wrote:
    ridden a Nukeproof round a LBS car park

That must've told you loads about it...
  • ej2320
    I didn't have a chance to properly demo it

It felt nice just round the car park though
  • cooldad
    I believe Sheepteeth's Mum feels nice round the car park.
    She lives in Rhyl.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools