Accident in the alps...write up and some advice

tomstickland
tomstickland Posts: 402
edited May 2014 in MTB general
We had a major incident a few weeks ago. Made me think about a few things. I wrote them up here: http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/articles/saf ... lps-crash/

2013_08-Les-Deux-Alpes-Morzine-362.jpg

The victim explains what it was like for him: http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/articles/saf ... ims-story/

Finally, I've done some research on accident levels and some things about safety kit: http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/articles/bik ... fety-gear/

Comments

• Yslen
    Yslen Posts: 55
    Thanks for posting, makes a good read. Scary stuff though.
  • Hope you're feeling a bit better. An interesting read.
    I have also learnt the hard way. When you start feeling tired its time to stop having fun and go to the bar in one piece.
    Also armour is a very good idea although I doubt it would have prevented your injuries but you never knoe.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Agreed, great account of how things happened and will probably help someone one day.

I had a very similar experience whilst snowboarding in the alps a few years ago...last day of the holiday, last run of the day. Heading down a rocky chute (off piste) that I had been down a couple of time previously that week. Short story is I got it wrong and like you're mate ended up in a serious condition very quickly, broken shoulder and heavily bruised internal organs (abdomen). The helivac also did a great job with me and I concur that morphine is awesome. Lessons learned.... Always respect the terrain, and be prepared for the worst. I no longer take big risks when out biking or boarding on my own...you literally do not know what is coming around the corner. I always carry a first aid kit and a survival blanked even if I'm only heading out for a quick ride... If its not me that need help it may be someone else...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Worth reading, sobering
  • Good write up. Will share it.

Thanks
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Good write up but I kind of disagree with the injured persons assessment of the causes of the accident - I am going to say, with no intent to offend, that a skill deficit caused the accident (and by the sounds of it a ridiculously high saddle as there is a mid ground where most people can still pedal reasonably effectively and get off the saddle if needed).

Skill and experience would mean that you can tackle that terrain with a raised saddle and deal with it even if a little tired. The trail you were on I have ridden loads of times on my xc hardtail and think its a great little trail on the PdS. It did however provide me with a massive haematoma on my shin one wet day thanks to a slippery route and a german hiker.

That said, I am glad to hear you are ok and recovering and interested by the story. I hope you get well soon and back on the bike soon after that! And back to the alps next summer!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Interesting I think complacency can come into it as well, I rode a downhill 11 days ago that I have done an awful lot of times before with never the hint of a problem this time after looking at my bike it looks back wheel caught a substantial rock as I was doing 33mph it threw the back end out enough to cause me to ride off the edge of the trail which resulted in an awful lot of air before hitting the ground/bramble bush I woke up some 50 minutes later (with no memory of the crash) staggered up the side to the path where some runners called an ambulance..result 2 fractured vertibra (1 very bad) and a cracked eye socket.....11 days in it still hurts even with the spinal brace which I have to wear 24/7 for up to 12 weeks.

It has made me realise that it doesn't matter how much experience you have (I have a lot) and how many times you have done a particular trail, anything can happen anytime...this will change my riding. Don't let something like this happen to you.
  • I am going to say, with no intent to offend, that a skill deficit caused the accident

I am going to disagree with you. He made an error of judgement regarding speed and conditions, mainly because it was an "easy" day after a "difficult" day.
    Without doubt he had the skills (however you define them) to ride that set of rocks.

One other thing...that guy who rode a section of UKBikePark several times in a row crashed the last time due to a very slightly different line and bike position. He had the skill to ride it. Something happened differently the last time.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Some very thoughtful and reflective articles. Great reading.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Great post, glad he survived the ordeal and it is clear your actions made a real difference, it certainly has made me think about how, when and where I ride as I regularly ride alone. :shock:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • I am going to say, with no intent to offend, that a skill deficit caused the accident

I am going to disagree with you. He made an error of judgement regarding speed and conditions...

Definitely this - even the most experienced rider can have a bad accident on the easiest run.
    See Cedric Gracia's accident - no rocks, no drops. Just riding along a dirt track and falling badly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbqnIP9D5o

Nice article btw. But I'll make sure the missus never sees this. I'll never get my upgrade and holiday to France if she sees what could happen if things go wrong.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I am going to say, with no intent to offend, that a skill deficit caused the accident
    Definitely this - even the most experienced rider can have a bad accident on the easiest run.
    See Cedric Gracia's accident - no rocks, no drops. Just riding along a dirt track and falling badly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbqnIP9D5o
    Jesus! I am never going outside again!