What size bike for short torso, long legs

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I have an issue with sizing. I am just under 6ft at 5.11.5 (182 cm) but my inside leg (pubic bone height as opposed to trousers length) is 89cm.

Putting the seat up to get a slight knee bend, means that my seat to bb height is around 79cm. I have always bought 18 inch mountain bikes and 56cm road bikes. The former need a 400mm post and the latter given a ridiculous seat to bar height (around 7cm and I prefer something around 4cm). However on a road bike to get a bigger headtube I need a much bigger size and am wondering what other folks with my kind of proportions are doing?

Currently I run long, high angled stems in a bid to get comfortable.

thanks

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To be honest you are doing the right thing. As frame sizes get larger the effective top tube length increases which would potentially be a problem for you. The only real suggestion to look for bikes with a shorter effective top tube which would let you get a bigger / taller frame to reduce your drop with less drastic stem angles.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Sportiff style bikes usually have the head-tube a tad higher then race bikes.
    Make sure you are riding longer cranks, this gives your legs space without adding to the length of the reach. 175mm is the usual long crank.
    Shallow drop bars such as 3TTT ergonova give a shorter reach to the drops.
  • Canyon Roadlite AL springs to mind.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Also have a look at the Cannondale Synapse, I was going to buy one of these but the head tubes are really long.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    6wheels wrote:
    Also have a look at the Cannondale Synapse, I was going to buy one of these but the head tubes are really long.
    Yep - my neighbour has one and it is indeed a mighty head tube, and a nice bike.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Same height as you, slightly shorter legs a M Giant (54) fits a treat even though their size guide says I should be a M/L (56.5).
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • samsbike wrote:
    I have an issue with sizing. I am just under 6ft at 5.11.5 (182 cm) but my inside leg (pubic bone height as opposed to trousers length) is 89cm.

Putting the seat up to get a slight knee bend, means that my seat to bb height is around 79cm. I have always bought 18 inch mountain bikes and 56cm road bikes. The former need a 400mm post and the latter given a ridiculous seat to bar height (around 7cm and I prefer something around 4cm). However on a road bike to get a bigger headtube I need a much bigger size and am wondering what other folks with my kind of proportions are doing?

Currently I run long, high angled stems in a bid to get comfortable.

thanks

My M/L Giant Defy 0 has a head tube of 185mm. Selling it if you are interested? With that tall a head tube the seat to bar drop will not be all that great.
  • tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    edited September 2013
    I'm about an inch shorter than the OP; short torso/long inseam.

Focus Izalco Ergoride:
    ETT/Headtube: 538mm/165mm, 550mm/180mm, 565/200mm

Edit: forgot to mention Merida Ride series (carbon), if you're in the UK:
    540/170, 550/190, 565/215 (though the BB drop is only 65mm)
  • Thanks all
  • I'm about an inch shorter than the OP; short torso/long inseam.
    Focus Izalco Ergoride.
    Has the shortest top tube / tallest head tube combo, I've seen in factory frames.
    ETT/Headtube: 538mm/165mm, 550mm/180mm, 565/200mm

Those are pretty extreme no's. My Defy is 560mm (effective) and 185mm. too stretched but too upright for me. The 872 I have just bought is more "normal" 548mm and 145mm. Different geo though so i don't expect it will feel much shorter.