Upgrading bits...

katiebob
katiebob Posts: 208
edited September 2013 in The workshop
Hi all,

I am clueless so please be gentle!

Trying to make my Carrera Gryphon a bit more efficient. Below is the spec with my very minor current adjustment in bold. What would you change in order to make it a more efficient ride? Have it on the cycle to work scheme so am stuck with it for another 13 months!

Chainset: FSA Tempo compact chainset
Exact Frame Size: 17"
Frame: Lightweight 6061 aluminium
Frame Material: Aluminium
Front Brake: Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brake
Front Mech: Shimano FD-R440
Gear Shifters: Shimano SL-R440 trigger shifters
Handle Bars: Alloy oversize flat bars (31.8mm diameter)
Headset: Semi Integrated
Hubs: Alloy with QR
Number of Gears: 16
Pedals: Wellgo Alloy pedals with toe clips
Rear Brake: Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brake
Rear Mech: Shimano RD-2300
Rims: Double wall alloy rims
Saddle: Carrera
Stem: Alloy
Suspension: Rigid
Tyre size: 28c
Tyres: Dutch Perfect Road Rider
Forks: Alloy straight blade forks
Frame Colour: Satin Gunmetal
Approximate Weight (KG): 11.9
Geometry: Performance/Sports
Cassette: 11-28T
Quick Release Front Wheel: Yes
Quick Release Rear Wheel: Yes
Seatpost: Carrera 350mm x 27.2mm black alloy
Wheel size: 700c

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    From Googling those tyres I'd look at swapping out the tyres for something like these in 700x25c straight away (I'm assuming it's got 700c tyres on there now!)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • It does. :-) Why would you recommend them? Not nitpicking just trying to understand! :-)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Errr 'cos they're cheap and often recommended, honestly. My preference tends towards Continental tyres, but that's purely because "but I've always used them!". I understand that Specialized Roubaix tyres are very good now (they used to be *awful* years ago, and yet I'm still biased) too.

As for general type, I've gone slightly narrower than yours and less "knobbly". If you're on asphalt there's no real advantage to knobbly tyres anyway. If you really are clueless, then honestly I'd take them to an LBS to compare side-by-side (they'll likely show you how to fit them if you don't know, too). I'm more than happy to buy straight off the net, but I'm accustomed to looking at this sort of stuff.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Lighter weight tires and inner tubes (e.g. 700c X 23 or 25) will make a big improvement. If you want to buy 'folding tires', be certain that the rims have an internal 'hook' that grabs-onto the bead of the tire.

I am currently using Bontrager 700X23 T2 (non-folding, wire bead) tires and they have been ok so far (approx 1000 miles), They need to be pumped-up 'hard' to high pressure to avoid pinch flats. I weigh about 170 lbs.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Gryphon is down at 9.75Kg but as the only thing original is frame and mech hanger......

Lightertyres and tubes, maybe slightly narrower as well and more slick.

Lower your riding position for better aero by moving the spacers above the stem and flipping it.

Bolted (I use Halo) skewers for better security and reduced weight.

The saddle is quite heavy as well, so if it's not the most comfortable then something like a Spoon Cro-mo will save you about 100g
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers all...

I really like my saddle unfortunately!! Will have a ponder.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    JayKosta wrote:
    Lighter weight tires and inner tubes (e.g. 700c X 23 or 25) will make a big improvement. If you want to buy 'folding tires', be certain that the rims have an internal 'hook' that grabs-onto the bead of the tire.

I am currently using Bontrager 700X23 T2 (non-folding, wire bead) tires and they have been ok so far (approx 1000 miles), They need to be pumped-up 'hard' to high pressure to avoid pinch flats. I weigh about 170 lbs.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

This is what I would look to do, look at lighter faster rolling tyres as the bike looks fine apart from that.