ZEE mech

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
will this mech work with a 24/32 set up on the front or is it for single ring only?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod82431

Comments

• I was fairly sure it's for single ring only, may be wrong however.

Also, I think its cheaper from merlin
  • welshkev
    I was fairly sure it's for single ring only, may be wrong however.

Also, I think its cheaper from merlin

yeah I thought it was only single ring but thought it was worth checking with my mechanical ineptitude :lol:
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    It will work if you're careful with your shifting, ie. no big-big.
  • Its a shame its a brilliant mech.
  • welshkev
    no worries, cheers guys. thanks for the merlin heads up.

SLX shadow + is only £45 so that's the one I think :D
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've read elsewhere of people succesfully using a Zee Mech on a similar double set up. I wouldn't fancy trying it myself though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on capacity. The DH spec is 28t capacity. The FR spec 36. The latter will do a 34/22 and an 11-34 cassette easily. The problem is retailers copy and paste nonsense rather than look at what they are actually selling. I assume the 32-36t 'wide ratio' is the one you need.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I didn't think it was capacity Zee mechs were sold on, rather maximum sprocket size.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano website states capacity. If they mean those figures are large sprocket size then they have got their terminology wrong lol.
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    supersonic wrote:
    Shimano website states capacity. If they mean those figures are large sprocket size then they have got their terminology wrong lol.
    That's the problem I'm having trying to figure out if I can run a medium length XT rear mech with a triple rings. Shimano recommends 35 as the max.
    Lots of advice I've had says it cant be done. Now what is the 35 referring too?
  • The capacity.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Capacity, total teeth difference at front and rear so for example using conventional tripe 3x10
    front 22/32/42 rings, 42-22=20
    Rear 11-36 cassette, 36-11=25

Capacity required of mech is 20+25=45
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev wrote:
    no worries, cheers guys. thanks for the merlin heads up.

SLX shadow + is only £45 so that's the one I think :D

I've got one in my basket for £37.50
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic wrote:
    Depends on capacity. The DH spec is 28t capacity. The FR spec 36. The latter will do a 34/22 and an 11-34 cassette easily. The problem is retailers copy and paste nonsense rather than look at what they are actually selling. I assume the 32-36t 'wide ratio' is the one you need.

You sure about that?

Capacity on the FR/Wide-Ratio/32-36 is 25T (the 32-36 is reference to the largest sprocket on the cassette isn't it?)

a 34/22 x 11-34 is 35T so you'll need a standard GS mech

no?

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic wrote:

yep says pretty clearly;

"Optional B-Link for trail gearing options
    Freeride spec - 36T Capacity with optional B-Link"

http://www.crusheveryline.com/en/

That has just saved me €40!

Was gonna gonna get a GS XT and have to change from a 36t ring to a 34t ring to get me down to the GS's 35T capacity but if that Zee mech is 36T capacity I can leave the 36t - and the Zee mech is €15 cheaper...happy days :D

Trek Session 8
  • hmmm...I think Shimano have put up wrong info on their site. There's no way that p1ssy little 50mm cage is gonna be able to suck up all the slack chain on a 36T capacity set-up.

I indeed think the 36t is referring to the biggest sprocket on the cassette. And they call it the 'Freeride' version which screams 1x10 (11-36) not 2x10.

Trek Session 8
  • I agree, say 45 is long, a middle would be 40, if short was capable of 36.

But I think you'll find actual max teeth on a cassette a mech is capable is a lot higher than a tech doc suggests. For example the General Lee big cogs, well over what mechs state but seem to work.
  • The Shimano Support Manual lists Zee as 25T capacity for both FR and DH models. The maximum sprocket size changes from 28 for DH and 36 for FR. As the two versions of the mech are identical abpart from the B link I would ignore the website saying 36T capacity, that looks very much like the wrong wording being used.

Mark @ Madison