Cyclo cross bike and road bike what is the difference

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi I was wondering is there much difference between bikes, i have an older road bike if i put knobbly tyres on it could i use it for cyclo cross

Comments

• no reason why not, I've sem people do cyclocross on hybrids, purpose built cyclo-cross bikes, tend to have bigger clearances to stop mud clogging brakes, gearing/cogs to cope with the climbs etc
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Clearance for tyres and mud is the main thing. Most road bikes have too small a clearance with brakes close to the tyre - any hint of mud and they will clog.
  • Hi I was wondering is there much difference between bikes, i have an older road bike if i put knobbly tyres on it could i use it for cyclo cross

Chances are that cylocross tyres will not fit on a road bike frame if they do then nice :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    CX have higher bottom brackets for off-road clearance. High end race CX bikes eliminate mud-traps in the chainstay bridge, waterbottle eyelets.
    CX tyres may fit Audax/Winter training style long-drop callipers. I can get a 32mm marathon under mine.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I've used old road bikes for cross in the past. One thing I would do (assuming you have frame clearance for the tyres to start with) is consider getting bosses put on to allow the use of cantilever brakes.