Long time rider, newbie MTB'er - Bike Advice

BertyBob
BertyBob Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello all...

Have been cycling for fair few years now, to work, on cycle paths to keep fit etc. I was recently introduced to some proper MTB trails and managed to tackle the blue, red and even black (very tricky) routes on my trusty steed. However, I think this showed up that it's probably not the best nowadays for proper trails!

I have a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport in black (v-brake version), had it from new and it's been fantastic for what I've used it for, have done a few thousand miles on it!. The bike is standard as it came from the factory apart from a pair of Schwalbe Land Cruisers which are great rollers, what I noticed on the trails was that the fork, even on softest preload didn't really do much damping. So I'm wondering if it's worth investing some money into the hardrock on a new set of forks, or if I'd be better placed getting a newer bike with better components. Also the tyres may not have been the best choice for trails!

I love the look and ride of the hardrock, it's really comfortable for me. The brakes although non-disc seem to be fine (never ridden a bike with discs so can't compare), it's just the fork seems a bit hard and doesn't really soak anything up well. So I'm thinking of a fork upgrade plus a pair of better tyres for trails.

The current fork is RST Gilla T6 (I think). And have searched on google and a popular upgrade is Rockshox Tora.

I'd prefer to keep spend on the existing bike low, otherwise it would make sense buying a new one. So was thinking of a pair of Schwalbe Rapid Robs that can be had for around £25, plus a set of forks, but I am not sure which one to go for, this is new to me. I'd like to keep the spend to around £100 on the fork if possible.

Do you think tyres and forks will make a lot of difference? Advice welcomed, thank you...