Hope hoops

MTBUK
MTBUK Posts: 146
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hope hoops.... Love or hate them....

Which rim do you guys ride with... Stans flow, arch, crest...... Mavic? I'm a 100kg rider.... And want a set suitable for my weight.... For trail and XC use....

Any advice would be appreciated

:)
Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
Orange Crush 650b 2014

Comments

• I have Mavic ex721 on my pro 2s - I'm 89kg and ride trail/enduro-all mountain. Very nice strong rim - takes bigger tyres nicely as well. Some of the decals mark pretty easily but the metal is strong and true despite a couple of hashed landings...
  • MTBUK
    Tom Barton wrote:
    I have Mavic ex721 on my pro 2s - I'm 89kg and ride trail/enduro-all mountain. Very nice strong rim - takes bigger tyres nicely as well. Some of the decals mark pretty easily but the metal is strong and true despite a couple of hashed landings...

Thanks ill deffo consider them...
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'm 90kg and find my Arch EXs a little flexy when pushing it. For the small stepup in weight (of both rim and rider) I'd say you should look at Flows or 521s. 721s strike me as unnecessarily heavy duty for most things.

Edit: should add that mine are custom built with skinnier (D-Light) spokes, which will account for some of the flex.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Go for it, the hubs are brilliant. I've not tried any of the current crop of rims, but the DT Swiss XR400 is outstanding if you can still get them
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Same as you 100kg rider, I use the Flows for my type of riding which is more DH runs and black runs. Can't speak for the hubs as I use superstars, the wheelset was very cheap otherwise it would ove been pro 2's. Can't knock the rims though, they have took a fair bit of abuse without flexing and are still as true as the day I bought them.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Rims - Stans Flows

Some DH riders use Flows; they're plenty strong enough for you at 100kg, will take a beating.
  • MTBUK
    Really helpful replies thanks guys!!........
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014