Long time rider, newbie MTB'er - Bike Advice

BertyBob
BertyBob Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all...

Have been cycling for fair few years now, to work, on cycle paths to keep fit etc. I was recently introduced to some proper MTB trails and managed to tackle the blue, red and even black (very tricky) routes on my trusty steed. However, I think this showed up that it's probably not the best nowadays for proper trails!

I have a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport in black (v-brake version), had it from new and it's been fantastic for what I've used it for, have done a few thousand miles on it!. The bike is standard as it came from the factory apart from a pair of Schwalbe Land Cruisers which are great rollers, what I noticed on the trails was that the fork, even on softest preload didn't really do much damping. So I'm wondering if it's worth investing some money into the hardrock on a new set of forks, or if I'd be better placed getting a newer bike with better components. Also the tyres may not have been the best choice for trails!

I love the look and ride of the hardrock, it's really comfortable for me. The brakes although non-disc seem to be fine (never ridden a bike with discs so can't compare), it's just the fork seems a bit hard and doesn't really soak anything up well. So I'm thinking of a fork upgrade plus a pair of better tyres for trails.

The current fork is RST Gilla T6 (I think). And have searched on google and a popular upgrade is Rockshox Tora.

I'd prefer to keep spend on the existing bike low, otherwise it would make sense buying a new one. So was thinking of a pair of Schwalbe Rapid Robs that can be had for around £25, plus a set of forks, but I am not sure which one to go for, this is new to me. I'd like to keep the spend to around £100 on the fork if possible.

Do you think tyres and forks will make a lot of difference? Advice welcomed, thank you...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks will make a huge difference, what you have are heavy and probably have no damping (aka shock absorbing rather than springing) at all. Forks with V-brake posts are rarer now but still available.

I'd suggest looking for an older decent pair on ebay, my bike is running on 2006 Manitou Skareb elite that cost me less than £55 and are in great condition and have v-posts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Rookie, thanks for the advice, sounds good. Although to me it's a bit of a minefield knowing what will and won't fit my bike. Is there anything I need to check before buying to ensure it fits 100 %?

I know it needs v-brake posts
    I know the RST fitted is (supposed to be :o ) 100mm travel - so need to match that.
    And I know my hardrock spec headset is 1 1/8", does this meam the tube on the fork needs to match this size?

Anything else I need to check?
    My bike spec is here:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=specialized&Model=Hardrock+Sport&Type=bike#.Uic1C51wbcs

I have had a quick look on ebay and there seems to be quite a lot of new well priced forks from Taiwan, are these fakes? RST F1RST's look ok for £139, remote lock out and air, any good?
  • You should check the steerer tube length (length of tube on fork)
  • Ok thanks, not sure how I'd check that - presumably by taking mine apart?

Any other advice on what forks to get?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steerer length is from below te crown race (visible below the lower headset) to just below the top of the stem, no need to remove to measure, longer can be cut, very slightly shorter is OK, or you can plan to remove some spacers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    You're unlikely to do alot better than your existing forks from a LBS that'd fit them for you for £100. If you're comfortable fitting and adjusting your V-brakes from scratch then take a look at the online guides for fitting forks, not difficult, just need to know what you're doing. If you can fit them yourself then s/h forks are an option, Rockshox Reba/Sid/Duke are all decent and older versions with brake posts should be available within budget. You'll need to budget for a seal change and/or service though. You just never know when buying s/h.

Rapid Rob's are reasonably grippy but very heavy, for a little more you'd notice a big difference riding these

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRALFPER ... lding_tyre

at the expense of a little more prone to punctures than some, depends on how/where you ride. Best of luck