Removing brake levers from my flat handlebars

GJ255
GJ255 Posts: 35
edited September 2013 in The workshop
I have a Jamis Beatnik (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec031788) and want to remove the brake levers so that I can put them on some new handlebars. I can unscrew them but need to slide them off the end to get them off, but the grips are in the way. I can see no obvious way to remove the grips. Is it possible to do so? Here are the best images of the bars I could find:

http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ ... x5rQ/l.jpg
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/phot ... 065002.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• If there are no clamps on the grips then it's brute force to remove them. Twist and pull
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • GJ255
    If there are no clamps on the grips then it's brute force to remove them. Twist and pull

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions: 1) what do you mean by clamps on the grips? 2) If I yank them off, will it be difficult to get them back on/will they come off much more easily and be less secure?

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GJ255 wrote:
    If there are no clamps on the grips then it's brute force to remove them. Twist and pull

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions: 1) what do you mean by clamps on the grips? 2) If I yank them off, will it be difficult to get them back on/will they come off much more easily?

Cheers
    1 are there clamps on the grips?
    2 maybe maybe not it depends if you get them off in one piece or not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GJ255
    nicklouse wrote:
    GJ255 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions: 1) what do you mean by clamps on the grips? 2) If I yank them off, will it be difficult to get them back on/will they come off much more easily?

Cheers
    1 are there clamps on the grips?
    2 maybe maybe not it depends if you get them off in one piece or not.

Sorry what do you mean by clamps?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/octane-one-bolt-on-long-grips-2013/rp-prod60735

see link above these are clamp on - the have a screw on the end clamp to hold them on the handle bar. if you have on yours undo the screw and remove. if tehy are just rubbery or similar then its down to brute force and ignorance.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gently slide a screwdriver under and get some water in there.

DON'T pull them off, as you pull they narrow down and grip the bars harder, easier is to 'push' them off with the brake lever clamp section as this avoids that happening.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I usually boil a full kettle, take the bars off and dip the end of the handlebars with the grip fully submerged in the hot water. The grip will expand much more than the bar and will be easy to slide off (although very hot so use gloves!).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • GJ255
    The Rookie wrote:
    Gently slide a screwdriver under and get some water in there.

DON'T pull them off, as you pull they narrow down and grip the bars harder, easier is to 'push' them off with the brake lever clamp section as this avoids that happening.
    t4tomo wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/octane-one-bolt-on-long-grips-2013/rp-prod60735

see link above these are clamp on - the have a screw on the end clamp to hold them on the handle bar. if you have on yours undo the screw and remove. if tehy are just rubbery or similar then its down to brute force and ignorance.
    DesWeller wrote:
    I usually boil a full kettle, take the bars off and dip the end of the handlebars with the grip fully submerged in the hot water. The grip will expand much more than the bar and will be easy to slide off (although very hot so use gloves!).

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I managed to get the grips off without too much trouble.
  • I appreciate you've got them off now, but what I use to slide grips on and off is surgical spirit or "rubbing alcohol" as websites like Sheldon Brown call it. I force a bit under the grips and wigle the grips a bit - they suddenly become all slippy and come right off. Five mins later it has all dried and the grips are "grippy" again (you don't want them to staty slippery ...).
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.