Doncaster to Sheringham (195 miles non-stop)

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
Off to bed in a bit and getting on the bike at about 5am.

Going to head out to Skegness via Market Rasen, down the coast to Kings Lynn and then follow the coast to Sheringham. Reckon I'll get there about 8ish.

I'll let you know how I get on! :D

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Bonne route Monsieur.
  • rodgers73
    I'll be thinking of your own Lincolnshire epic and hoping the wind stays down!

I'll have about 10mph headwind from Skeggy to Kings Lynn but hopefully the same tailwind heading up the coastline on the other side of the Wash.
  • As a local I often enjoy the A149 coast road, hope it's a good trip for you.
  • rodgers73
    Well, I made it ok.

Got into Sheringham for 8.30 last night feeling tired and very dehydrated! Yesterday was a bit too hot for riding 202 miles (according to my dodgy computer anyway).

Everything went fine until the Skegness to Kings Lynn stretch when I seemed to be riding into a headwind on the A52/A16 or wincing as yet another truck roared past me on the A17. Didn't enjoy that bit at all!

The A149 is indeed a good road to ride but I was a bit far gone by the time I was on the north coast section and my wife tells me I sounded like I was drunk when I rang her for directions to our B&B. Today feels a bit like a hangover - the more grease and salt I eat the better. Still, there were some good bits and it felt satisfying to be doing a distance I've only bettered on 3 occasions.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good work - and you made it a double century for completeness.

It would have been a tough day yesterday for sure - it was very warm indeed.

15.5 hour for 320ish km is very respectable.

So, what's your next trick?
  • rodgers73
    Cheers Marcus,

Not much lined up for the rest of the year at the moment - just a couple of sportives.

My next big ride is London to Paris non stop next Easter but I'm thinking about an overnight ride when the weather gets worse this autumn/winter, just for the sheer masochism!

And I need to start thinking about PBP qualifying too...
  • Chapeau for that ride sir, top effort. Brave of you to go on the A17 but I guess there's no other sensibly direct route down to KL from Skeggy, and yes, the A149 is a lovely ride, especially once you get round the corner past Hunstanton...

I'm looking to ride up to Pontefract from Loughborough - I know the A roads up as far as Clumber Park should be OK but don't know them after that. Any recommendations on what to go on / what to avoid (other than the A1 obviously!) to get me from Worksop area to Ponty?
  • rodgers73
    Yep, A17 was pretty much unavoidable, sadly.

From Clumber Park if you can get to Woksop then get on the A60 heading north through Langold and Tickhill into Doncaster. Cross the town centre and get on the A638 and follow that to Ackworth then turn off on the A639 into Ponte.

A60 is quiet and a pleasant road to ride on, good rolling countryside. A638 can get a few trucks on it as it passes some industrial estates but still quite good. The hill down into Ackworth off the top of the moor is fast - 30+all the way.

Enjoy!