"Races"

2»

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    In the UK people who race see sportives as training, people who don't race see sportives as racing.

Quite. Raced in 2/3/4 races this year and completed RideLondon 100. Completely different experiences, distances, ethos and physical demands. Both are a challenge, but the London 100 wasn't a 'race' as such. At least, I never thought that I needed to employ any racing tactics and I'd have felt a bit of a dick if I'd attacked the group I'd ridden the last 25 miles with. Some riders did attack in the last mile. Dicks!

After London 100 I chatted with a rider who had been taken down in a sprint for the line, probably sprinting against people with a different start time and therefore not actually 'competing' against them anyway. Lots of gravel rash and a duffed elbow. Utterly pinttless.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Grill wrote:
    Even audaxes are run differently there. Look at the difference between PBP and LEL...

With the exception of the vedettes group at PBP I'd say they're actually pretty similar (though obviously on completely different scales).
    More problems but still living....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    I posted a thread along the same lines a year or so ago.

Two people I know deliberatly target sportives and train (In th UK) to try to 'win' them. One of them even said "Its like a 4th cat event" !!
    Last year, at the Solway, one of my acquaintances got jumped 100 yards before the line after some bloke latched on his wheel and 'sucked' it for a while and 'won'. The aforementioned bloke was furious at him and would not shake his hand.
    When I suggested that it wasn't a proper race and the first bloke to employ some race tactics, took you for a mug, the response was far from complementary.
    What do you think?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    So folk shouldn't ride beyond their ability in case they fall off and injure themselves or others? No sh*t Sherlock of the year award goes to...
  • I posted a thread along the same lines a year or so ago.

Two people I know deliberatly target sportives and train (In th UK) to try to 'win' them. One of them even said "Its like a 4th cat event" !!
    Last year, at the Solway, one of my acquaintances got jumped 100 yards before the line after some bloke latched on his wheel and 'sucked' it for a while and 'won'. The aforementioned bloke was furious at him and would not shake his hand.
    When I suggested that it wasn't a proper race and the first bloke to employ some race tactics, took you for a mug, the response was far from complementary.
    What do you think?

There is therapy for anger management
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    GiantMike wrote:
    At least, I never thought that I needed to employ any racing tactics and I'd have felt a bit of a dick if I'd attacked the group I'd ridden the last 25 miles with. Some riders did attack in the last mile. Dicks!

After London 100 I chatted with a rider who had been taken down in a sprint for the line, probably sprinting against people with a different start time and therefore not actually 'competing' against them anyway. Lots of gravel rash and a duffed elbow. Utterly pinttless.
    Racing is utterly "pintless" ... as are many things in life ...

So what if sportive riders want to "attack" in the last mile ... they're doing what they enjoy, who cares, so long as they ride within the law and respect other riders they can pretty much do as they wish.

Sounds as though you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder if you think other riders who happen to go faster during the last mile are Dicks .. Surely the bigger insult - rather than petty name calling - see their "attack" and raise them ... perhaps you just didn't have the legs ... most ppl would call that sour grapes ... (poor looser isn't appropriate because it wasn't a race)
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    At least, I never thought that I needed to employ any racing tactics and I'd have felt a bit of a dick if I'd attacked the group I'd ridden the last 25 miles with. Some riders did attack in the last mile. Dicks!

So what if sportive riders want to "attack" in the last mile ... they're doing what they enjoy, who cares, so long as they ride within the law and respect other riders they can pretty much do as they wish.

Sounds as though you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder if you think other riders who happen to go faster during the last mile are Dicks .. Surely the bigger insult - rather than petty name calling - see their "attack" and raise them ... perhaps you just didn't have the legs ... most ppl would call that sour grapes ... (poor looser isn't appropriate because it wasn't a race)
    No, I stand by what I said, they were dicks. Why attack if you're not racing? And if you do think it's a race, why race against against people who think it isn't? And why attack people who probably started at a different time to you? You're either 6/12/18 mins ahead or behind them anyway so what difference will 5 seconds make?

'Yeah babe, I totally smashed them today. Sat in for 98 miles then tore them all apart with my awesome race power at the end. Caused a crash on the line, but it was so worth it because I'm such a top racer. If I raced I'd probably be an Elite or better. I even got a medal which probably means I won the whole thing. I'm thinking of doing one of those fun run races next week against a load of fatties in fancy dress raising money for some cancer charity. I'm such a good runner I'll tear them apart.'

I am planning to ride some Audaxes next year and I'll ride those like a normal cyclist doing the distance for the challenge, possibly working with others, maybe not. However, I won't sit on somebody's wheel while they drag me around a 300km Audax and then attack them in the closing stages because it would be dickish. I'm also doing some road races, where I will attack to try to win. Because it's a race, and everybody starts at the same time and knows it's a race.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    GiantMike wrote:
    I am planning to ride some Audaxes next year and I'll ride those like a normal cyclist doing the distance for the challenge, possibly working with others, maybe not. However, I won't sit on somebody's wheel while they drag me around a 300km Audax and then attack them in the closing stages because it would be dickish. I'm also doing some road races, where I will attack to try to win. Because it's a race, and everybody starts at the same time and knows it's a race.

Doooooooo it!
    No one will notice, much less care. Us audaxers are far too laid back for that.

Oh and you better grow a beard if you don't already have one. ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

No, I stand by what I said, they were dicks. Why attack if you're not racing? And if you do think it's a race, why race against against people who think it isn't? And why attack people who probably started at a different time to you? You're either 6/12/18 mins ahead or behind them anyway so what difference will 5 seconds make?

'Yeah babe, I totally smashed them today. Sat in for 98 miles then tore them all apart with my awesome race power at the end. Caused a crash on the line, but it was so worth it because I'm such a top racer. If I raced I'd probably be an Elite or better. I even got a medal which probably means I won the whole thing. I'm thinking of doing one of those fun run races next week against a load of fatties in fancy dress raising money for some cancer charity. I'm such a good runner I'll tear them apart.'

So really - you do have a massive chip on your shoulder ... if they want to play the big "I am" then let them ... who cares? It's not a race is it ... what are you going to do - go and say that you started 30 minutes after him ... what does that achieve? It shows that you're sensitive to his boasting and feel belittled by it.... but why should you care? It's not a race.

Would I have sprinted the last bit of the last sportive I rode in? You bet I would've done ... but I couldn't - I'd cramped ... 20 miles from the end ... but I was only riding with my brother who "beat" me anyway ...
    Previous one I rode with my wife - did we "sprint" at the end? Not that you'd notice - but we did push the pace - she wanted to get in in under a time - did that mean that there were others who we "dropped" ... no idea - to wet and cold to notice, but it doesn't matter if they did - it's not a race!

People behave like dicks - so what ... as long as they're not hurting you - what does it matter?!

Oh - btw - I won my commute home on Tuesday ... yup- I came FIRST - nobody else came past me - did it all by myself ... mainly because there was nobody else riding that way ... but what does it matter? There's always going to be someone faster than you ...
  • GiantMike
    I've read your post 3 times and I still have no idea what you're banging on about. Could somebody translate please?
  • GiantMike
    Grill wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Doooooooo it!

I have 4 years to grow a massive beard ready for 2017 LEL.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    GiantMike wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Doooooooo it!

I have 4 years to grow a massive beard ready for 2017 LEL.

A racer could grow a beard long enough to encircle the world in 6 months!
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    I've read your post 3 times and I still have no idea what you're banging on about. Could somebody translate please?
    Quite simply - it is not a race.

If its not a race then there are no "attacks". How's that chip? Need more vinegar? ;)
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

If its not a race then there are no "attacks". How's that chip? Need more vinegar? ;)
    So you're agreeing with me that it's not a race....
    Slowbike wrote:
    ...and disagreeing with yourself about the attacks?
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

So you're agreeing with me that it's not a race....
    Slowbike wrote:
    ...and disagreeing with yourself about the attacks?

yup - it's not a "race" as such ... so if it's not a race then there are no attacks - someone may race a sportive though ... there is a difference ...
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Yup - it's not a "race" as such ... so if it's not a race then there are no attacks - someone may race a sportive though ... there is a difference ...
    So, if somebody is 'racing a sportive', are they attacking if they try to jump the bunch to beat them? i.e. in your example is this attack an attack?
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Yup - it's not a "race" as such ... so if it's not a race then there are no attacks - someone may race a sportive though ... there is a difference ...
    So, if somebody is 'racing a sportive', are they attacking if they try to jump the bunch to beat them? i.e. in your example is this attack an attack?

As I said - it's not a "race" so surely it doesn't matter? Or is it just sour grapes because they wouldn't hold your hand all round the course? If it's that then it's about time you MTFU ... if my wife can do a 60 mile solo effort on her first sportive then you can ...
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

As I said - it's not a "race" so surely it doesn't matter? Or is it just sour grapes because they wouldn't hold your hand all round the course? If it's that then it's about time you MTFU ... if my wife can do a 60 mile solo effort on her first sportive then you can ...
    A response that does you credit. Ignoring you own inconsistent line of argument, muddying the water, back-tracking and vague personal insults based on no information other than what you've made up in your head. Well done you.
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

A response that does you credit. Ignoring you own inconsistent line of argument, muddying the water, back-tracking and vague personal insults based on no information other than what you've made up in your head. Well done you.
    ah - the patronising response ... I take it you've now understood your error then?
  • GiantMike
    No, I'm just annoyed I didn't spot you're a fantasist when I read the response below and I should have just ignored you. After this, everything was just vague insults and scenarios about me and my motives which you made up in your head.
    Slowbike wrote:
    But for clarity, you agree with me that sportives aren't races and that riders who attack, attack. We appear to disagree that somebody who gets dragged around a 100 mile sportive and feels the need to attack at the end is a dick or not. So let's just park it there eh?
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    No, I'm just annoyed I didn't spot you're a fantasist when I read the response below and I should have just ignored you. After this, everything was just vague insults and scenarios about me and my motives which you made up in your head.
    Better vague than just calling someone who rode faster than you a "Dick" ...
    GiantMike wrote:
    But for clarity, you agree with me that sportives aren't races and that riders who attack, attack. We appear to disagree that somebody who gets dragged around a 100 mile sportive and feels the need to attack at the end is a dick or not. So let's just park it there eh?
    I agree, a sportive isn't a race - but as I said - some ppl "race" them ... it's up to you if you want to or not - again, as I said, so long as they're not breaking any laws and are courteous to their fellow riders (eg don't knock them off) then they can do as they please.
    So, if you're not "racing", but they are and they sprint off in the final bit what does it matter? What harm has it done? Supposing he then brags about how he won ... but it's not a race is it? Again, it doesn't matter .... or is your pride hurt because you towed him round for 99 miles only for him to "take all the glory" ... in which case you're taking the ride far to seriously and should learn to chill out a little ... or you could just not ride with them to start with... or you could just not enter the event at all.
  • GiantMike
    Are you actually trying to 'life coach' me now? Fed up with agreeing with me, you're now trying to tell me how to live? Are you charging for this service or is this phycho-babble free?
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Are you actually trying to 'life coach' me now? Fed up with agreeing with me, you're now trying to tell me how to live? Are you charging for this service or is this phycho-babble free?
    Perhaps you should start by removing the need to get the last word in ...

I wouldn't want to life coach you anyway - you'd see how other people progress faster than you, cry about it on an internet forum and call them "Dicks" when they finish their coaching before you do.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Slowbike wrote:

Would it help if I had the last word? Then you can both stop...
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

I wouldn't want to life coach you anyway - you'd see how other people progress faster than you, cry about it on an internet forum and call them "Dicks" when they finish their coaching before you do.

Stop fantasising about me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Imposter wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Would it help if I had the last word? Then you can both stop...

No.

:wink: