New bike...new roadie

tman100
tman100 Posts: 33
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all.
After a couple of years riding mtb I have bought a Cube Pelaton Pro road bike. i've just got to wait for some new shoes to arrive and I'll be off hopefully improving my fitness and losing weight along the way.
I dont know what tyre pressures to run though?
Any suggestions where to start with finding the right pressures please? I'm 18st in weight if that makes a difference.
Is 100psi a good starting point or should I go higher or lower?

Thanks in advance, Nathan

Comments

• 100psi will do
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Hope you love the Cube, i bought my first rode bike two months ago, Cube Peloton Race and i love it! I have no idea about the tyre pressures though, i just pump them up until hard!

Is this wrong?
  • Well dont go over 120psi. Dont you have a gauge on the pump?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I would say that 100psi is the very least you should be running and I wouldn't recommend going any lower.

Do you have a 2013 Peloton or a 2014 one? The reason I ask is that most of the 2012 versions had Easton EA30 wheels - as opposed to Fulcrums they now use - with a 20/24 spoke count. Some people experienced problems with spokes constantly snapping which seemed to be a factory fault, so this might be an even greater likelihood with your weight. Just something to keep in mind.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Ride hard wrote:
    I would say that 100psi is the very least you should be running and I wouldn't recommend going any lower.

Do you have a 2013 Peloton or a 2014 one? The reason I ask is that most of the 2012 versions had Easton EA30 wheels - as opposed to Fulcrums they now use - with a 20/24 spoke count. Some people experienced problems with spokes constantly snapping which seemed to be a factory fault, so this might be an even greater likelihood with your weight. Just something to keep in mind.

I believe its the 2012. It has Easton wheels and finishing kit

DSC_0046.jpg
  • Yep, that's the boy.

Not meaning to get you alarmed or anything, but most people you speak to wouldn't recommend a 24 spoke rear for someone of your weight, however, IMO if they don't give you any trouble then what the hell, go with it.

I've got them, and they are a good, light wheelset although can flex slightly when really powering down (I'm 13st BTW).
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Cracking looking bike Tman100.

Same boat myself. Back on a mtb once a weekish over the last 18 mths and took the plunge with a GTC Race 2 weeks ago. Guessed at 100psi first time out and have found time for two 25 milers since. Tyre pressure seems fine on the pretty average road surfaces around here.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would have thought about 8bar/117psi for tyre pressure according to the charts I have seen. :)