De Rosa

Neale1978
Neale1978 Posts: 484
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
Started out as a complete 2012 R838. I picked decals from a Merak set & then sent the frame and forks to Jason rourke for painting

2582ooy.jpg

Zipp alu bars & stem, Thomson post & SLR seat, Centaur UD carbon arms, Super record calipers & Veloce everything else for now. Look keo max 2s, 38mm UD carbon rims with Novatech hubs, Michelin krylion carbons, Fizik tape etc

Ears

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I like that, very 8)

Any more details on the wheels, getting ideas for mine now!! Do you mind me asking where they came from and how much they were :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Neale1978
    edited September 2013
    Hey,

Wheels were from china (Cn carbon, via ebay) and including some Fees before delivery were just over £300. They are pretty much a pound lighter than the fulcrum 7's and are well made. Some people are skeptical of wheels from over there but its all about where you get them from. Check their feedback.. everyone is very happy with what they have got from them :wink:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cn*carbon
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    Started out as a complete 2012 R838. I picked decals from a Merak set & then sent the frame and forks to Jason rourke for painting

2582ooy.jpg

Zipp alu bars & stem, Thomson post & SLR seat, Centaur UD carbon arms, Super record calipers & Veloce everything else for now. Look keo max 2s, 38mm UD carbon rims with Novatech hubs, Michelin krylion carbons, Fizik tape etc

Ears

it's lovely but basically looks like a ribble 872. nothing wrong with that but i suspect most de Rosa owners wouldn't want that.
  • Neale1978
    edited September 2013
    The Ribble is matt black and not actually the same frame & forks anyway. Next years 'R838' is available in one colour (Gun metal grey) and the 'king' is all one colour also. The 60th anniversary bikes are not exactly loud & proud either
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    The Ribble is matt black and not actually the same frame & forks anyway. Next years 'R838' is all one colour (Gun metal grey) and the 'king' is all one colour also. The 60th anniversary bikes are not exactly loud & proud either

Maybe not exactly the same but I think it has been established that De Rosa sold the mold rights to Ribble to produce the Stealth/872. Carbon layups etc may vary so I am not saying they are identical, just out of the same mold. Big fan of De Rosa, much nicer bikes than Pinarello, Bianchi and the like. Unfortunately my budget will only stretch as far as the Ribble "copy". The new versions sound lovely, can't wait to see them.
  • The carbon type is different also apparantly but the Ribble is an awesome f&f for the price.

Some of the 2014 De rosas..

60th anniversary (Protos)

33ff5e1.jpg

60th anniversary (steel)

2zyid78.jpg

60th anniversary (titanium)

2iactnl.jpg

60th anniversary (alu/scandium)

29yp346.jpg

King RS

14df49k.jpg
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    One of the 2014 R838's 8)

q79h.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Wow. stunning bikes. About 10 times what I paid for my Ribble though! That Ti frame is gorgeous, as is the steel. 838 the least appealing although that is their "entry level" bike I suppose.

So, although Ribble state that the 872 is "Toray 800" you would question the validity of that statement? I suspect that as long as a small % of Toray 800 is used then they can claim it's a Toray 800 frame? Seems unlikely to be all 800 at £550 (the Ribble version) for the frame&fork?
  • The 848 is their 'Entry level' bike. The complete 838 is pretty amazing value for money and has won an award or two. Next years grey is nice but this years and the 2012 paint jobs were nicer IMO but each to their own.

Really couldent comment on what the ribble is made from exactly.
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    The 848 is their 'Entry level' bike. The complete 838 is pretty amazing value for money and has won an award or two. Next years grey is nice but this years and the 2012 paint jobs were nicer Imo but each to their own as they say

Sorry, my mistake. Not knocking your 838 in any way. If I had the cash I would choose it over a Ribble any day. Like the mods you have made to stealthen it up. Some black Archetypes with Hope hubs would look cool on there. I am a fan of monotone, dark paint jobs rather than anything too colourful, hence why I prefer you custom version. Each to their own as you say.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks good, could definitely do with a zipp layback seatpost though.
  • I had one but ended up selling it as i was sat too far back on the bike or mostly on the nose of the seat with it on and i dident want to go shorter than 110mm with the stem
  • Did you get free prawn crackers with that?
  • Def a possible unorthodox snack alongside those sour grapes but no, thankfully i dident. Does anyone actually eat those things?
  • styxd
    Whereabouts in the South Lakes do you ride? Are you a member of a club. It's be cool to meet up for a ride.
  • Hey,

Iam not in a club but have ridden with one in the past. I live near Ulverston & have circuits of different distances around to ride really. How about you?
  • styxd
    Yeh, based in Ulverston myself - small world eh!
  • Pm'd :wink: