Advice on european sportives

RallyBiker
RallyBiker Posts: 378
Having dipped my toe in the sportive scene after 4 years mountainbiking, the bug has bitten. I'm toying with the idea of entering a sportive or two in Europe during 2014. So far I've done Etape Eryri (76 ml.) 2012,2013, Cheshire mini sportive, Cheshire Cat (102ml.), Etape Mercia, Ffestiniog 360, Tour de Mon (106ml.). Any advice on a suitable spotive for a bit of novice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• I don't think being a novice is that relevant - the Marmotte is meant to be one of the harder ones and there were people in our group with less experience than you that got round well inside the time cut. Unless you mean you don't know which are good ones - in which case the only one I've done is the Marmotte but it's a good event - lots of participants and goes over some classic Tour climbs.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Maratona Del Dolomites.

Marmotte is tougher but the Maratona is much more of an occasion!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The Maratona is a great event. As is the Alpen Brevet in Switzerland which is tougher but more low key than the Maratona.
  • This has to be an "it depends" situation. As in, it depends on how strong a bike rider you are.

With 4 years of mountain biking before coming to Sportives perhaps you are well on top of these UK events? If that's the case then something like the Maratona or the Marmotte may be within your capacity. Both feature huge climbs...

The Maratona at least has the virtue of having shorter route options, and it is easily the most spectacular scenery. With the Marmotte I think there's no bail-out/short cut option - so you are committed to doing 5,000m of climbing, or failing...

If you aren't super-strong then you may find Italian Gran Fondos much more doable - all will have "medium" courses which should be well within your scope. I feel the Italians are more interested in speed and getting around in style, and if you are feeling strong on the day then you can still take the "Gran Fondo" option (you choose at the course split) which will be harder than most UK Sportives.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    +1 for the Maratona

1. Stunning scenery. You'd be hard pushed to find better
    2. Excellent organisation
    3. Real sense of occasion and atmosphere
    4. Choice of routes and the way they are created means you effectively decide as you get to the junction depending on how you feel
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Something else in favour of the Maratona is the location. If you make a holiday out of it there are some stunning rides in that part of the world. The Fedaia for instance is well worth riding.
  • How about Spain? I,m hoping to spend 2-3 months there next year (touring in motorhome) April/May time. I will just have mtb but will switch to slicks for road rides. I do enjoy (?) long climbs, well, earning nice descents. Any good events around that time?
    I've recently done C2C in a bit under 11 hours (135mls) so can manage longish rides - with effort!
    PS will be coming back through France early June so French rides also considered.
    Sorry to jump on your thread RB
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Any advice on a suitable spotive for a bit of novice would be greatly appreciated! :D
    I wouldn’t choose the Marmotte as my first European sportive, partly in case its difficulty or the weather make it go pear-shaped and partly as I found the organisation at the start/finish of the Marmotte one of least friendly of the European sportives I’ve done – and I’m well into double figures in European sportives. The other unfriendly sportive I encounted was also in France – in the Jura.

A sportive with a shorter route option in case the event proves too hard, or the weather is dreadful, is a very good idea, as others have pointed out. The Maratona is one of several events which allow this, and so too do the Gruyere, Alpenbrevet, Dolomitenradrundfahrt (from Lienz), Dreiländergiro and the Arvans-Villards. I’m sure there are others too.

A start/finish in a sizeable place also helps with the atmosphere at the finish, which can add to the pleasure and satisfaction especially for one’s first sportive. This prerequisite may unfortunately rule out the odd otherwise-verygood Swiss or Austrian sportive (start/finish in tiny villages), and also most of those in Alsace (mostly finishes at deserted mountain tops).
    However, there are several sportives with a not-too-hard route and a good atmosphere at the finish – if you make it to the finish in sufficient time – I’m thinking here of the Arlberg-Giro, as well as the five mentioned above (Gruyere … Arvans-Villards).

I also lean towards those starting not at the break of day. I've done a couple with 6.30 and 7.00 am starts, but if you’re not an early riser by nature, and can’t be sure of accomodation near the start the night before, check this out too, before registering. Driving 45 mins at 6 am to get to a start is a real drag.

I think the Swiss and Austrian sportives, generally-speaking, offer better value for money than the French ones, in terms of food, prizes, mementos, etc, although I have found exceptions to this on both sides.
    I’ve only done one Italian, two German and no Spanish or Benelux sportives, so can’t really judge them so well.

PS. Have a look at what I'm about to post to 'tubaonwheels' about the L'Ardéchoise.
  • knedlicky
    How about Spain? I,m hoping to spend 2-3 months there next year (touring in motorhome) April/May time.
    PS will be coming back through France early June so French rides also considered.
    The big one during April/May in Spain (usually the last April weekend) is the Mallorca 312: long route 312 km/4347 m climbing, shorter route 167 knm/2588 km. But as the name suggests, it’s not on the mainland, if that’s where you’ll be.

Early June, according to a calendar of events I have, there were 11 cyclosportives in France on the weekend of 1-2 June this year, and the same number the following weekend, so there’s ample to choose from, especially if you haven’t decided whether to return from Spain via Biarritzz-Bordeaux-Tours, or via Perpignan-Nimes-Lyon, or via Toulouse and up the middle. And also how far you are then prepared divert from the route home for the event.

Most of these cyclosportives are regional calendar events not a federal calendar events, and although regional calendar events are more or less organised the same as the larger events, bear in mind they won’t have the massive participation which events like the Marmotte have.
    As example, the L'Albigeoise at Albi (early June) has three routes, 76 km/1100 m, 107 km/1480 m and 151 km/2050 m and this summer the field for the long route only had about 60 riders, the middle-distance route about 120 riders, and the short route only 40 odd riders.

Bigger ones on those weekends include the Time Megeve at Sallanches in the Alps and the Trois Ballons in Alsace, but both pretty big diversions from a route via Lyon.

If you can wait returning a bit longer, you could do the L'Ardéchoise which as its name suggests is in the Ardeche, based around St. Felicien.
    It’s actually a series of about a dozen cyclosportives spread over 4 days (next summer 18-21 June), the dozen routes ranging from 85 km/1525 m to 278 km/5370 m. About 15,000 riders participate altogether, some just on one day, others over the 4 days.
    I’ve not been to it (yet) but it must be quite something and I imagine with a real festive air in the town over those days.
  • Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I think the best plan would be to do one of the many France options during our journey back North. The plan is in very early stages so not sure which way we'll be entering France yet. I'm sure I won't be fit enough for an event like the Mallorca one at that time of year but, if I get plenty of riding in down that way I should have gained enough fitness to have a crack at one early June.
    I think a bit of research of events is needed, then I can pick one (or two) out and plan route North around them.
    Thanks again, very helpful :)
    Steve.
  • dsoutar
    knedlicky wrote:
    I wouldn’t choose the Marmotte as my first European sportive

LOL ! 6 years ago in Spring I decide to take up cycling to lose the rapidly expanding waistband of fat. My mate who was a seasoned rider says we need some sort of goal. We tried for the etape but fail to get in so he says he's heard of something called the Marmotte which is similar and 3 months of training should be enough. 3 weeks before the event he develops knee problems and bails. Yours truly on my own, first time on anything higher than the hills of the Home Counties. It was painful but what a rewarding experience.
  • knedlicky
    dsoutar wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    I wouldn’t choose the Marmotte as my first European sportive
    LOL ! 6 years ago in Spring I decide to take up cycling to lose the rapidly expanding waistband of fat. My mate who was a seasoned rider says we need some sort of goal. We tried for the etape but fail to get in so he says he's heard of something called the Marmotte which is similar and 3 months of training should be enough. 3 weeks before the event he develops knee problems and bails. Yours truly on my own, first time on anything higher than the hills of the Home Counties. It was painful but what a rewarding experience.
    Good for you!
    Of course it’s possible as one’s first, and I’m sure there are many who’ve done similar to you, because they’ve not heard of other events, because it might turn out to be their only continental sportive (so then has to be a big one), or because they know people who’ve done it (and common discussion ground down the pub/at the cake stop is always good).

In my case it was my 3rd or 4th continental sportive, but there is one thing we have in common - I too prepared for only 3 months.

21 months beforehand I’d had a football injury which prevented me doing any sport for 6 months. Within a month of being able to cycle again, I crashed in a MTB race and incurred new injuries which prevented me cycling a further 11 months. While I couldn’t ride, I registered for the Marmotte because I wanted a goal when I could ride again. And when I did eventually get back on the bike again, the Marmotte was only 12 weeks away.
  • I'm seriously considering doing the L-B-L next April (or at least going in the ballot and seeing how I feel later on)

Has anybody here done it?? How hard did you find it?

I've also looked hard at the Paris-Roubaix, but it looks a bit mental and I'd basically need a new bike

Jubbster
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    What about Milan-San Remo Gran Fondo - http://milano-sanremo.org/en/
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Has anyone got links to Sportives in Europe around April/May of next year? Particularly Belgium and Northern France! Will check out LBL and P-R.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dsoutar
    Try using this http://www.cyclosport.org/events/Oct-2013/UK.html

Change the filters to what you need, search, and then drill down on the results. Many of the events pages have a link to the official event website.

You should try searching historically as many of the 2014 events won't be there yet.
  • durhamwasp
    cheers! I found that site but didn't try the idea of searching for events already held in 2013...

Newcastleton Cross-Border Sportive looks good, as does Clif'Cross.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    I'd really recommend the Paris-Roubaix Challenge for an early season event. Rode it this year for the first time on my normal bike, having fitted 25mm Conti 4seasons tyres, double wrapped the bar tape, removed the saddle bag and used metal bottle cages, and that was it. Easy to get to from the Channel, great atmosphere and then you can stay to watch the pros do it properly the next day. And lots of beer if that's your thing.
  • durhamwasp
    I notice that the L-B-L Challenge allowed entry's on the day in 2013, for €30. Might well go to the 2014 on the last weekend of April.... Not sure which route length tho, 160km and a good afternoon on the bevvy, or the full 276km!
  • durhamwasp
    Anyone done the Fleche-Wallonne or Amstel Gold Sportive? I read that the F-W is a lot more low key than the other classics versions, but still looks attractive. Cant find an exact date or website for it tho. I noticed Rapha.cc road it in 2011 and it was only €5 entry!
    Would also be interested to know a link to the Amstel Gold version too
  • knedlicky
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Would also be interested to know a link to the Amstel Gold version too
    http://www.amstel.nl/evenementen/amstelgoldrace.

Registration for next year’s Amstel sportive (19. April 2014) won’t be open until about the end of October. The website doesn’t have proper details yet, nor much about the sportive (or the below possibilities) translated into English as yet.

If 19 April doesn’t suit you, and/or if you don’t mind missing the competitive atmosphere of 12,000 participants, you can ride parts of the professional route all year round. Over the last 3 years, the Amstel organisers have opened 3 permanent routes (75 km, 89 km, and 113 km), each of which has at least 7 of the famous Amstel climbs along it. Start and finish of each route is the "Wielercafe" in Valkenburg, and if you register through the website to ride one of the routes, you get a route map and a free chip so your time both for the route you’ve chosen and also on some of the climbs is registered.

They’ve also recently introduced a more organised version of riding these routes, called XP - each day Mon-Fri at 8 am and on weekends at 9 am, interested riders meet at the "Wielercafe", and then (weather-permitting) ride together on one of the three routes. Parking, changing/shower facilities and/or coffee and cake before you set off, can all be had at the cafe, each for a small charge, or you can pay 19.50 Euro to get them all and a pasta dish on your return thrown in on top.
  • durhamwasp
    Great! That's very interesting and looks a top option! Sounds similar to the way you can ride most of the Ronde route, all signposted and going over the bergs!

Im guessing the route is singposted also? or do you get a .gpx file? How about the café? is it good and serves beer?

Very interested in this!
  • knedlicky
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Im guessing the route is singposted also? or do you get a .gpx file? How about the café? is it good and serves beer?
    Sorry, but I can’t fully answer you; I’ve not done the Amstel in any of its now variations; I’m only reporting what I’ve heard.
    I believe the GPS data is downloadable off the 365 webpage on the Amstel website.
    And as far as I know (not been to the Valkenburg one) Wielercafes in the Netherlands normally have beer.
  • durhamwasp
    Thanks again

Tried to do a bit more research, and I found a couple of photos of signposts, so I am guessing they are from the routes (although they could just be in Valkenburg pointed you up the final climb).

The Wielercafe looks pretty awesome, think this Amstel Gold Xperience could be the favourite for our spring trip, maybes with a ride out in Belgium too.
  • Another vote for the Paris Roubaix Challenge - did it earlier this year and it makes for a great weekend away.
    Lining up to do the Flanders Sportive next April.