eXotic carbon forks - which size?

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking at a set of rigid carbon forks on ebay, make is eXotic by Carbon Cycles. Its to go on an On-One Inbred 26".

They seem to do 2 sizes, 42.5cm and 44.5cm (measured from centre of hub to top of crown). Both seem to be for 26" wheels but not sure what size I need? Please can anyone let me know what the difference would be?
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ask On One or check their website for recommended axle to crown length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanks CD have emailed them.

• heard back from on-one and will pass info on - just in case someone does a search on here for a similar query.

The 42.5cm rigid forks are equivalent to 80mm travel and 44.5cm equivalent to 100mm travel forks. On-Inbred 26" geometry is for 100mm forks so the 44.5cm would be the ones to go for.

On-one do make a carbon fork at 44cm A to C height.

Even though the 44.5cm ones would be a closest match not sure what difference 2cm would have on the handling? would be a bit more aggressive I guess?

• The shorter fork will result in a slightly steeper head angle and lower front. I wouldn't say it will be more aggresive, if anything it will be better for climbing and maybe turn quicker but less stable and less relaxed.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have the On-One Scandal 18" frame with 26" wheels and i run the 44.5 mm Exotic forks its a perfect fit and really works well together.
  • booldawg wrote:
    heard back from on-one and will pass info on - just in case someone does a search on here for a similar query.

The 42.5cm rigid forks are equivalent to 80mm travel and 44.5cm equivalent to 100mm travel forks. On-Inbred 26" geometry is for 100mm forks so the 44.5cm would be the ones to go for.

On-one do make a carbon fork at 44cm A to C height.

Even though the 44.5cm ones would be a closest match not sure what difference 2cm would have on the handling? would be a bit more aggressive I guess?

thought it would be worth mentioning i went rigid on my commuter - not with the brand your looking at but when i measured the AC on 2 sets of 100mm forks they were around 47cm.... didn't fancy a drop on the front end so in the end got a set of 29'er rigids.

Dan