Doping...cheating?

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited September 2013 in Pro race
An interesting article by that Malcom Gladwell about genetics in sport (a book review of The Sporting Gene)

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/a ... e_gladwell

worth a read on a train home...

(edit - you can stop when it gets to Hamilton/Armstrong, point has been made)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Surprise - Gladwell coming out with this as a counter to Epstein's The Sports Gene, which turns Gladwell's theory on its head that we could all be fantastic athletes in the discipline of our choice if we trained for the magic number of 10,000 hours?
  • Wasn't it that you could become competitive or an expert in a subject? There is a big difference between that and being a champion.
  • Wasn't it that you could become competitive or an expert in a subject? There is a big difference between that and being a champion.

Alright alright, I might have over-egged it with 'champion'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surprise - Gladwell coming out with this as a counter to Epstein's The Sports Gene, which turns Gladwell's theory on its head that we could all be fantastic athletes in the discipline of our choice if we trained for the magic number of 10,000 hours?

I know you're being flippant, but that isn't what Gladwell said at all

Anyone who read Outliers would know that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • yes, Iain
  • ddraver wrote:
    But that's where it gets interesting because he makes the point that, freed from genetic advantages, drugs allow those with good work ethic to prosper, which is a cornerstone philosophy in the Land of the Free, where apparently anyone can become President or otherwise prosper if only they strive hard enough.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    But that's where it gets interesting because he makes the point that, freed from genetic advantages, drugs allow those with good work ethic to prosper, which is a cornerstone philosophy in the Land of the Free, where apparently anyone can become President or otherwise prosper if only they strive hard enough.

Ok, fair point. I think it's an interesting viewpoint. (99% of what Gladwell does is to just raise interesting questions to be fair...). I thought it was interesting how people jumped all over it as "excusing cheating" (a certain TdF winner's fiance for example) as I don't think that's what he was saying at all.

If there is an equivalent of a Baseballer transplanting a tendon from a corpse to get a better Pitch (totally legal), then blood transfusing is probably it...

It's a purely philosophical discussion obviously but an interesting one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Interesting article, obviously written to provoke debate rather than back up a stance.

It ignores the fact that some people are genetically pre-disposed to responding to doping (Armstrong) and others aren't (Mancebo), so you still have an unfair genetic lottery despite the doping.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.