Lost my Mojo

redpat1
redpat1 Posts: 54
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
I really want to get back on the bike and commute to work again but seem to have lost my desire. I was badly injured almost a year ago to the day (not bike related) and was off work and recuperating until a gradual re-integration starting in January of this year. To start with I came out with all guns blazing feeling highly motivated to burn off the excess several KGs I acquired during my enforced rest and got stuck in but somewhere towards late Spring early Summer I just lost all my motivation and the enjoyment I normally get from cycling.
My commute is exactly 10 miles each way and although it contains one difficult long climb on the return leg was always fairly easy for me. I even have a lovely cycling specific shower and changing block complete with a clothes drying room, lockers and fresh towels so there is no problem there.
I am feeling really angry with myself as I have always been a get up and goer so cant understand what is happening with my motivation.
How do you guys get motivated? and more importantly stay that way? I know the colder months are coming but I used to really enjoy riding in colder conditions!
All ideas gratefully received.

Comments

• The less you do, the less you want to do.

Just got to get out there.... Problem is you won't be as fit as you were, so now being notably slower will be putting you off.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    The fear of the tube, misanthropy and being tight are motivation enough.

You need to build up to it.

Dont fear it do it one day a week, or one way in another way home, dont force it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • yeah you are right on some level, I know that the long climb home will see me off the bike at certain points. Weight wise, I am not sure how much I have put on but all my clothing has shrunk since the last time it was used. lol.
  • I hate public transport so much I'm delighted to be on the bike in any weather, any time of day, in any state of exhaustion (even after the newborn baby arrived). I actually really, really enjoy it.

You don't have to approach it like a hardcore gym session every time....throttle back and enjoy the scenery, views and generally being outside in the fresh air.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Do you go for other rides? Do you have a better half to ride with?

I rode with my better half at the weekend - it wasn't fast or particularly far (for me anyway) - but it was enjoyable and we had a superb lunch at our destination before catching the train back to our home town (then ride home!).

Motivation can be difficult to achieve and sometimes I wonder why I'm riding to work - but most of the time I just MTFU and get on with it. Last year was my first winter of commuting by bike - I worked out that my car costs ~£20/week in fuel to run. So, as a "bonus" for riding in instead I came up with the following structure (accumulative and resets each monday).
    1st day - nothing
    2nd day - £4
    3rd day - £8
    4th day - £12
    5 days - £20

and I put that cash aside so I could buy something for me or the bike...
    It's not a huge amount - but it bought some new overshoes & rear light that I wanted but didn't really need ... then I bought new bike because I'd been riding so much ... :D

You just need to find something that makes you MTFU ... celebratory beer/drink in the evening? Or just something else that you could treat yourself too. It does take a bit of self discipline - but it all helps :)
  • I should have said that I suffered a head/Brain injury and am going through on going treatment. Lots of things have been difficult and things I did before no longer have any enjoyment for me. I still enjoy looking and reading about bikes but just not feeling it when I ride!
    Its not a case of MTFU as if it was there would be no problem, trust me. I just need to try and find that passion again.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Do you go for other rides? Do you have a better half to ride with?

I rode with my better half at the weekend - it wasn't fast or particularly far (for me anyway) - but it was enjoyable and we had a superb lunch at our destination before catching the train back to our home town (then ride home!).

This^

Dont ride/do ride.

But only do what you enjoy. if you dont enjoy it, dont force it, you'll end up hating it more.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • It is probably just related to your brain injury, and general feeling of well being. However it is pretty well documented that exercise releases the happy hormones. Give it a go for a while longer and see if you enjoy, then if not, have a break for few weeks and then come back to it.
  • I used to ride all the time. I would do a couple of 2 hour rides a week and really enjoy it, I even used to do it on my singlespeed. My wife doesn't cycle and has no interest in doing so, I have always cycled by myself and had no problem with my motivation or pushing my performance.
    Thanks for the replies so far, I guess we will have to see how things go.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I am not a long time cyclist, only started this year, but I do enjoy it. If you do not want to commute the don't and don't stress over it. Sometimes in life people putt pressure on themselves to do things that they would otherwise do and it can ruin it. I get pissed off at the end of each month with the total miles accumulated and annoyed at myself for not doing more and end up missing rides I otherwise have done. At the start of the month I forgot about stupid targets and start again.

If you want to cycle then get out on the bike on the weekend and have fun. Nothing special, no target and see if you enjoy it. If you do, then do more until you feel like commuting. If you don't get there it's no big deal just ride when you like it.

Just enjoy getting out and see what happens.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    redpat1 wrote:
    To start with I came out with all guns blazing feeling highly motivated to burn off the excess several KGs I acquired during my enforced rest and got stuck in but somewhere towards late Spring early Summer I just lost all my motivation and the enjoyment I normally get from cycling.
    redpat1 wrote:
    Lots of things have been difficult and things I did before no longer have any enjoyment for me. I still enjoy looking and reading about bikes but just not feeling it when I ride!

That sounds suspiciously like depression. This is not a diagnosis, but just saying it's an indicator that requires consideration, and would not be unusual for a person recovering from a serious head injury. Is that something you have discussed with your therapy team (assuming you still have some support) as part of your rehab?

Are you saying that you started riding again and then Lost your Mojo, or that you intended to ride again but couldn't? If you haven't ridden since your accident, it may well be the case that you need to grit your teeth and Just Do It. The happy juices may flow again, or they may not. But there's only one way to find out.

Edit: tell me to butt out if I'm being too personal. You don't need to discuss your health in intimate detail with strangers, just because we are nosy beggars!
  • Its ok mrfpb, I am fairly open about everything. Yes I am still under a brain injury team and will be for a long while I believe. I have had bouts of "you know what" since the incident and it is now a constant battle as I cant operate at my pre accident levels in academic areas of my life especially. I did ride again for a bit and the juices do flow but it doesn't seem to be enough anymore. I recently found out that the damage is permanent, although minor on the grand scale it feels pretty big to me. lol. Not looking for sympathy as I just want to get on with things hence the original post, just trying to work things out and get back to some kind of normality.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I hope my "MTFU" comment didn't offend - I hadn't even considered brain injury!

Sounds like you're going to have to adjust what's "normal" ...

Nothing like your problems I know - but I have had the "why am I doing this" moments in both my sporting hobbies (sailing & cycling) - but carried on - then get a good ride and realise why this is "fun".

I don't suppose theres any chance of cycling with a friend/group? I always enjoy that more than solo riding - although solo riding can be satisfying - perhaps it's because I don't often get a chance to ride with others.

in the OP you mentioned colder months - I must admit I do enjoy riding in the dark - well, when it's clear - or even if there's snow on the ground. Just the crispness of the air and the view of the stars (country road commute) is superb and I don't feel the need to rush the ride either.
  • You could try a different type of riding. I was getting sick of idiots on the road and then tried mountain biking. Great fun, I'm not 'good' or a daredevil but the sense of achievement of getting over an obstacle that took me out before is great, being closer to nature and going slower was a real change and enjoyable.
  • Thanks Slowbike, not offended at all, thanks for replying. Definitely looking forward to those crisp mornings though.
    Alan, would love to do a bit of mountain biking or CX but am told it is off limits as I am increasing my risk for further injury, it took ages for them to give me the ok to ride my bike at all.
    Did several miles today while doing a few errands and took my time to enjoy the weather and scenery. I think it is going to be small steps for a while at least until I improve my fitness levels and get a bit of confidence back.
  • I went through a similar experience last year, albeit with a bout of depression rather than a head injury. As you described, the juices flowed but it didn’t seem to be enough anymore.

As I was encouraged to keep cycling to help combat the depression, I ended up changing the way I cycle and mixing things up to try and keep myself motivated – dropped a couple of daily commutes in favour of weekend rides, varied my route into work when I did commute, shaved a couple of mph off my speed and made an effort to look around me rather than just at the bike computer. I also started taking a camera with me to stop for a few (bad) snaps whenever I felt like it and, as Mrs Caveman isn’t a fan of two wheels, even ended up doing a couple of short sportives for the first time for more of a social ride rather than just churning solitary miles.

There was no magic switch for me, I stuck at the above and (along with other help) it just gradually came back to the point where I was enjoying cycling again and I felt like I’d got my fix after I got home from a ride. Hope you find your mojo again soon.
  • You've had some nice, good replies here. Maybe try a turbo trainer if you would like to get your fitness back up & shed a few pounds before hitting the road again? I do think can be quite hard to get motivation back after a break in the exercise. In the meantime, get the missus to iron your shirts over an upturned Wok- they'll fit much better after!! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Thanks for taking the time to comment, some useful advice received and implemented.
    I have been out for shortish rides of half to an hour at a steady pace just taking it easy. I even bought myself a Chrome Metropolis as a reward and to help motivate and encourage me for commuting and rides further afield, it is doing the trick.
    so now looking forward I think I will go for it and commute at least 1-2 days next week and see how it goes, building on from there to who knows where! lol

Thanks again

Pat
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    great news
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I had a fairly innocuous off at these beginning of July which resulted in broken clavicle that required plating and hasn't shown any signs of healing, ribs and lung puncture. Off work, can't drive and will be weeks before I can ride outside, although I can handle a turbo.

If I'm honest, the prospect of riding again on the roads terrifies me and I daren't risk a large chunk of what life i have left if I come off again. Which is stupid and irrational I know and I will get over it but I know how you feel. I suppose it is about small steps