Help !! Bottom bracket stuck.

chuzzwuzzer
chuzzwuzzer Posts: 14
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have a Shimano Deore M590 crankset and i'm trying to remove the BB51 bb but the thing is seized. Took non drive side crank arm off first and cannot get the drive side to come out. Cut the plastic washer away to see whats going on and it looks like part of the old bracket as seperated and seized up on the axel. Tried tapping it but wont budge. Even tried some dreaded WD40 to try and loosen it but the part in question (see pic) just turns with the axel. Any ideas or do i just take to the LBS to sort out.
bike_zpsc232e43e.jpg

Comments

• Whack it with a mallet or a hammer with some wood inbetween, it's only held with friction.
  • plastic mallet, short and sharp hits
  • I have tried hitting with wood and mallet and its having none of it.Bit worried to whack it too hard
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't be!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    If in doubt give it a clout, still not sure give it some more! I live my wife by this principle and the only time its caused me an issue is with the wife. :lol:
  • Nope.Its not budging.Theres no way i can keep pounding the bike like that.
  • It may be bent. But if you take it to a shop, that's all they'll do.

There really is nothing but friction holding it.
  • Is there any point tapping away at the ring thats stuck to the axel with a screwdriver to try and loosen it.I'm guessing it cant go back any further ?
  • NO!

The axel is best, square on whacks. You are hitting it into 'thin air' i.e. the DS pedal is not resting on the ground or pushing up against anything?
  • Its on bike stand.Drive side not resting on anything. But that ring in pic just spins with the driveside axel. Like its bloody glued to it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are not hitting it hard enough. wood block over axel and bigger hammer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take it off the bike stand and hit it like you hate it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers for the replys. Borrowed my dads ancient Thor hammer.Took of the stand. Got him to sit on it. Couple of good whacks. Sorted !
  • Just another quick question guys. I know i need to grease the bottom bracket threads but do i need to grease the entire axel attached to the driveside ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as neither move grease is not needed.

but an anti sieze can be used on the threads and the axel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes, lightly grease the spindle and all mating surfaces. Pack in extra grease behind the seals and in the recess behind each bearing (at either end of the plastic sleeve tube) if no grease is present.

This was the advice given on another big American forum shortly after users posted reports of premature BB failures (usually of a groaning noise from the nds cup as a result of contaminated and dried up grease in the bearing).

Early Shimano external BB cups didn't have the extra grease behind the seals and in the recess behind each bearing - now, all recent ones do. It is applied in the factory in such a way so that, when you insert the spindle, it automatically coats the surfaces mentioned above.

The grease serves two purposes: lubrication and "waterproofing".