Will this fork fit? - updated 20/2

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

My daughter has had this bike for the past 18 months or so: http://www.orbea.com/be-en/bicycles/mx-24-team

As you can see, it doesn't have a suspension fork, which has been fine for her usage. However, she's getting into riding gnarlier stuff and would now benefit from some front suspension.

I've spoken to my local bike shop who have offered some cheap, heavy suntour forks for 60 quid, however, I have noticed that bike-discount are offering the RST F1RSt air forks used on the top of the range, £950, Scott RC JR 24" kids bike.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a57905 ... 26&cr=GBP#

So, what I would like to know is this: would these forks fit my daughter's bike, and how easy would it be for me to do, bearing in mind I struggle to change a plug?

Hope you can help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They would fit.
    Easy enough, remove old ones, measure new, cut steerer tube, insert a star nut, put back together.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and dont forget the crown race.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Star nut and crown race?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Star nut - the thing that you bash into the top of the steerer that the headset top cap bolt tightens into

Crown race - the ring that sits on top of the fork crown at the bottom of the steerer for the headset bearings to rotate on.
  • I wouldn't spend £150 on upgrading the bike, it's not worth it. If she's had it for 18 months, it may soon be too small.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    Star nut and crown race?
    read Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi guys

The fork fit and is running very nicely. Thanks for your help.

However, it's here birthday soon and she would like some disc brakes. However, I have been advised that I wouldn need to change the wheels to accommodate disc brakes.

Does anyone know if these would fit? http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/41 ... heels.html
    They appear to be the only decent set of 24" wheels I can find that are MTB rather than BMX.

If they do fit, is anyone aware of some decent disc brakes that would be suitable for smaller hands?

Thanks in advance.

S
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Is there a mounting point on the frame for the rear disc brake?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I'm not sure that bike even has tabs for discs at the rear... no, if you are changing forks, wheels and brakes I think you should look at a new bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fork already done if you read the thread!

If the fork has disc tabs then its new front wheel and the brake, what budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi

I appreciate the 'it's not worth it' comments but she has a younger brother who will inherit it so happy to spend more.

There is a mounting space at the back for disc brakes. Excuse my ignorance but disc tabs? Not sure what they are.

I was looking at the wheels - about £170 for the two and then about another £100 or so for brakes if needs be. Overall maximum budget would be about £300.

S
  • 97th choice
    The Rookie wrote:
    Fork already done if you read the thread!

If the fork has disc tabs then its new front wheel and the brake, what budget?

I have, I'm asking about the frame for the rear brake.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Yes, there is.
  • 97th choice
    which way do the holes go, that will tell you if it is post mount or IS mount

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Bet money on it being IS mount rear, new fork is post mount. wouldn't go wrong with Deore brake set. Superstar components for discs and adaptors. Mind you 160mm at both ends might be overkill fro little hands
  • I'd be inclined to fit a 140mm on the back and also get really cheap avids rather than shimano as they're way more progressive (read rubbish) but the rising rate may be a bit much for kids, particularly with panic braking
  • Agree but Shimano are £75 a set from Germany
  • Avids are 45 and end with rotors at crc
  • Excuse ignorance - when you ask which way the holes go what are you referring to?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Google IS and Post mount.
    And make sure the holes in the frame aren't for mudguards or a rack mount.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It would appear that the front brakes are Post mount and the rear is IS mount.

Are the wheels ok?

If so, are we looking at Avids?