child seat

alibabameister
alibabameister Posts: 100
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
Whats the best and safest child seat for a mtb and will it fit a full susp bike?

Comments

• Hi,

Depends on the size of the child. I had a lot of success with the wee ride. It works with full suspension bikes where the top top and seat tube are fixed.

What I loved most about the wee ride is that your child is located betweeen your arms and legs offerring the most protection. Also the child is close to the CoG of the bike so doesn't effect handling too much. Also the child looks forward and can see bumps and so on - something they can't do from the rear.

Now we have a few more kids I've bought a bike trailer but its no good for severe off road. The wee ride works ok for regualr trails. I wouldn't take my kids on a serious course or drop off etc as its just too dangerous. Each to their own.

PM me for details if you like.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Trailer
  • Take care not to crush the frame with the clamp, frames can be pretty thin walled on certain bikes, also think of the additional leverage if hanging off the back as you'll need to either lock out or re-set the shock sag when the seat is fitted.

I used one with reasonable success on my Anthem X, but ended up buying a cheap hardtail as it felt too unstable bouncing around and I was worried about the precious cargo.

I used one of these as they have a bit of spring in them for comfort, and good wrap around protection in case you drop the bike. http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... -seat.html

I'd avoid trailers if you're going off road, even on fire-roads the kids get bounced around.

Good luck!
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • Weeride, I've used it one my full suss for a few years now and apart from riding a bit bandy legged it works really well.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Hi
    I've got a specialized 2008 enduro and tried a hamax seat the other day but not sure if it will puet to much strain on the seat tube where the clamp goes ?
  • I used the clamp on the kiddy seat as the seatpost clamp as there wasn't enough space for them both.

Great way of developing power, I set my second best time on Strava this week through the distraction of a giggling toddler on the back during a big climb!
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • i use the weerider also http://direct.asda.com/WeeRide-Child-Bi ... stBid=tztx
    fitted to my gt (hardtail). i prefer it to the rear mount seats .i can see if my son is ok. it also has the little platform at the front to hold on to or sleep on.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike