Upgrading from My stumpy FSR

Alve
Alve Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've had my 2008 Stumpjumper FSR expert from new and i literally cannot fault it. It climbs and descends really well and hasn't skipped a beat in nearly 6 years.

I've been considering an upgrade lately....similar travel possibly 130mm. I like the look of the Norco sight killer 650b but am not sure how this whole wheel size thing is gonna pan out. A larger wheel is definately an option.

Just wondering whats peoples thoughts on whats best for a budget of around 2k?? cheers

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Alve wrote:
    I've had my 2008 Stumpjumper FSR expert from new and i literally cannot fault it. It climbs and descends really well and hasn't skipped a beat in nearly 6 years.

Just keep your cash. Current bike sounds spot on for you.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't fault it sums it up for me!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You can't fault your bike, yet you want to 'upgrade' it? Odd.

You have a budget of £2k to 'upgrade' it? That seems odd as well, if you really wanted a change you'd be better off selling the Stumpy and putting that money with the £2k to get modern technology on the frame not just updated parts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think by upgrade he means a new bike - hence looking at the Norco.
    Do try and keep up.

That said keep the bike and send me the cash.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    he 2008 stumpy fsr is an amazing bike, I wish I hadn't sold my frame. if anything i'd look at just getting your shock serviced and maybe some new forks? the frame is awesome :D
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 4
    Cheers All, yes, when i say upgrade i mean to a new bike not upgrade my stumpy with bits. Obviously the bike is 6 years old and will be needing a shock and fork service again soon, plus looking to get a dropper and will need a new chain set before long.

Wondering whether to move on as that little lot will be the best part of a grand... I may even just go for a newer stumpy...although as you've said the 08 frame is really good and i'm a big fan of shocks being vertically mounted when it comes to 4 bar linkages...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Performance wise, shock orientation makes no difference though. As long as is tuned tot he frame mechanics.
  • If you want something shiny and new but similar to your Stumpy have a look at something like the Specialized Carve, Giant Trance X or Trek Fuel. All are at least as capable on the fun stuff as your Stumpy, lighter and climb just as well.
    If you like what you have avoid the latest fashion for excessive suspension.