Route from Southampton to Yeovil

Rodders30
Rodders30 Posts: 314
edited September 2013 in Road general
I'm planning on cycling to the In Laws in Yeovil. I was thinking of going up to Shaftsbury then down the A30. Going to be a week day, leaving early around 7:00 from Southampton.

The A30 doesn't look like a dual carriage way, but its going to be a 60mph road. Anyone cycle that road, will most likely be after rush hour.

Its a pretty simple route without having to take loads of back roads and getting lost, but also don't want to get splatted.
Trek 1.5 Road
Haro MTB

Comments

• A30 not too bad overall as it's not too busy, but Somerset drivers can be a bit brainless at times, with some thoughtless overtaking, in my limited experience, doing exactly that route, but the other way round.
  • Get plenty of mindless overtaking, so know where to expect it. Ill stick to that route then as its nice and simple. Will make it there for lunch!
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I usually take the back roads from Shaftesbury but it does require some navigation. The A30 is probably the best bet if you're not familiar with the route, it's usually relatively quiet in the middle of a weekday and it's just been resurfaced between Shaftesbury and East Stour so it's nice and smooth.

The A30 is DCW/70mph between Sherborne and Yeovil and you do see cyclists along there but it's not somewhere I would go, it's much nicer to turn left at the traffic lights west of Sherborne (at the start of the DCW) then take the first right to Bradford Abbas (NCN 26). When you get to Stoford turn right, drop down the hill and you should come out near the cinema in Yeovil...
  • Thanks for the tip, ill check it out on the map.

I looked at the back routes and I think I would be stopping every 5 minutes to check im on the right route and I dont really want to splash out on a garmin for one ride.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I live in Shaftesbury and personally would avoid the A30, there's a lot of blind bends and people are just driving too fast. Have you considered the Christchurch--Wimborne--Blandford--Sherborne route? It would be a better ride.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I did a 600 km audax back in July part of which went from Chandler's Ford to Exeter via Salisbury and Sherbourne - it pretty much went through Yeovil.

It was lovely route and avoided the main roads mostly. Here's the GPS routes for two of the stages, feel free to use them and modify as you wish. You get lucky and can stop before it gets really hilly around Chard ;)
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2725887
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2760104
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,214
    I live just south of Shaftesbury and agree I wouldn't cycle the A30 from Shaftesbury to Yeovil, sections are OK, but not for 20 odd miles, plus as said the Sherborne to Yeovil section is a fast dual carriageway.

I'd be more inclined to go Sixpenny Handley - Ashmore- Zig Zag Hill to Shaftesbury, and then head through Stour Row - Todber - Marnhull - Stalbridge - Sherborne, and then as above from there to Yeovil avoiding the A30. Quiet roads with decent enough surfaces, and not too many mad drivers.

Basically in Shaftesbury to hit the A30 / A350 roundabout junction, go straight over, turn left just before the school, then right with the school on your right, playing fields on your left, and head down past the bottom of Gold Hill and keep going until you get to the church. Then it is the road just to the right of the church, down hill again, eventually taking the left fork to Stour Row, and go past Virginia Hayward hampers, and keep going straight until Marnhull.

At Marnhill you go straight at the church, (if will be on your right, past the school and keep going!
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    I'd be more inclined to go Sixpenny Handley - Ashmore- Zig Zag Hill to Shaftesbury, and then head through Stour Row - Todber - Marnhull - Stalbridge - Sherborne, and then as above from there to Yeovil avoiding the A30. Quiet roads with decent enough surfaces, and not too many mad drivers.

Basically in Shaftesbury to hit the A30 / A350 roundabout junction, go straight over, turn left just before the school, then right with the school on your right, playing fields on your left, and head down past the bottom of Gold Hill and keep going until you get to the church. Then it is the road just to the right of the church, down hill again, eventually taking the left fork to Stour Row, and go past Virginia Hayward hampers, and keep going straight until Marnhull.

At Marnhill you go straight at the church, (if will be on your right, past the school and keep going!

+1 that's precisely the route I take to and from Shaftesbury
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Here's a different option, Salisbury - Blandford - Dorchester - Yeovil.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Why would you go to Dorchester from Blandford? Better to go to Sturminster Newton. Also the A354 is probably worse than the A30 to cycle on, though there are nice routes off it.
  • Quite fancy going down zig zag hill. Must be years from going that way on my motorbike.

Will avoid A30 and go for back road navigation.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Dorset_Boy
    The surface on zig zag isn't good (once into the bends) and the light is poor - not one to hammer down unless you have great handling skills and large cajouns! It's fun though!
    Do you not fancy a quick detour up Gold Hill as part of your route? :lol:
  • Yes zig zag hill is awful. First corner was VERY rough. A stupid truck over took me just before going into the hill. Spose he kept me nice and slow down the hill and provided some nice slip stream upto the junction.

Climb out of Tollard Royal up to the highest point before dropping down zig zag was pretty hard, had a head wind most of the way and no one to hide beind for a bit of a rest. Knocked my ave down out the 17's and it never went back in them. Was a few other nasty hills. Particually Knights hill and the one on Penn Lane just out of North Coker, very close to my desination. Leg muscles were hurting by then. Couldnt get out the saddle for pain lol.

So a little dissapointed with time, but its my first 'just me' ride over that distance. Would have liked in the 17's for ave. Little annoyed as made a century sportive at 16.8mph, but i guess i slipped a few people on that.

The other thing is lots of the lanes have no road signs. So had to keep looking at a map with gps to see which way to go, rather than follow my list of roaf names. Still managed with no major detours.

http://app.strava.com/activities/81683271

This link might work to show the route.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB