mudguards

tapscrew
tapscrew Posts: 56
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Im after some quick fit mudguards for my jamis nova sport, and im thinking about the crud race pack. does anyone know if these are suitable for a cyclocross bike like mine? or recommendations for something more suitable?? Thanks :?: :?: :?:

Comments

• speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Hi
    I have a pair of brand new SKS RACEBLADE LONG ( BLACK ) MUDGUARDS which would just suit you,
    Quick release system ,just what you are looking for.
    Never used and still in original box
    Currently on line at wiggle for £39.99 - yours for only £30
    check them out on the web
    contact me on 07904312887 or kevinmeads@hotmail.co.uk
  • The racepac are a front and back for an mtb. Very good, but for a road bike you'll want the road racer. dead easy to fit, but fiddly to get just right - lots of trial and error with final positioning.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Assuming you're using it as a road bike not off-road in the mud then the most popular options are the crud road racer of SKS race blades (of which you should get the Long model as per Speedo's post, the other raceblade models are too short to be properly effective). I used to swear by the crud ones but switched to the SKS raceblade longs after the crud wore through at the brake bridge due to rubbing. The SKS ones are slightly more fiddly to setup (still easy though) but after the initial fitting are much easier to remove/refit as the mounts stay in place and you just unclip them.
    If you are using it off-road then neither of the guards I've mention are suitable as they'll clog with mud and likely break - I use a Zefal Swan road rear mud guard on my CX bike when off-road in the wet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    If it's a cross bike you should be able to fit a full 'proper' mudguard like an SKS Chromoplastic. The Crud Road Racers are good for bikes with limited clearance and no mudguard eyes but they are fiddly to fit without any rubbing (my 20 odd year old rear wheel won't run true enough to completely avoid rub with my set).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Your bike has a full set of threaded eyelets and loads of clearance so you would a fule to fit anything but full-length, bolt-on SKS chromoplastic.
  • Ok, let's dig a 2yo thread :D

@tapscrew, which mudguards did you end up buying?

I have a Jamis Nova Sports too and since the winter is coming and I use my be to commute, I really have to aquire some mudguards..
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    Ok, let's dig a 2yo thread :D

@tapscrew, which mudguards did you end up buying?

I have a Jamis Nova Sports too and since the winter is coming and I use my be to commute, I really have to aquire some mudguards..
    If it has disc brakes I think you're better off going in to Evans or your LBS and getting them to fit them. I had some bontrager guards added to my CAADX and it involved some nifty bending of the metal brackets around the disc calipers to get them to fit. Glad I didn't have to do it.
  • Well, I'm a bit confident I will be able to fit them myself :) At least, I want to try it.
    But it would be nice the know the model the OP used on his Jamis Nova Sport, so I know beforehand that is possible.
    I'm in Portugal and most likely the local bike shops here will buy the mudguards from UK too, so maybe I can cut the cost a bit...