Bealach na Bà

Scotty-Gee
Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
My mate and I are planning a trip from our base in Aberdeenshire to the West Coast and take on the Bealach na Ba.

We would leave early in the morning and get back sometime in the evening, the plan would be to do the 42 mile loop of the peninsula.

My question is - where do we base ourselves at, and leave the car upon arrival? Is it best to abandon it at Loch Carron and travel to the route? Or do we take the car to Sheldaig and go from there?

Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise?

I would appreciate any info or tips from people who have completed this route.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Shieldaig is best, and go clockwise as the classic climb up the bealach is that way. Undoubtedly one of the best rides in Britain, and not just the climb - the scenery is just amazing, and the up-and-down road over the succession of headlands towards the end is what really finishes you off...
  • Yeah the guys from the club said the "hill" wasn't the worst bit but the constant rollers after that really suck it out of you.

Hopefully through the week it should be a little quieter too.
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    Maybe just add that you'll probably feel like you've done more than 40 odd miles by the time you get back to Sheildaig - with that in mind remember there are a couple of good café stops in Applecross, you may need it if there's a howling gale round the coast road. Great day out!
  • 'Constant rollers' is one way of putting it. A succession of double figure % bar stewards is what you might be saying before the end of it!

Great ride though.