Gareth Bale

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
£300,000 per week WTF football money is insane.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    By the time he gets his share (16-18% of fan-ware) he will be on a lot more than 300k.
    He will be on more in the region of £420k/week by the time extras are added.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ridiculous and unsustainable. One day the bubble will burst...
  • VTech wrote:
    By the time he gets his share (16-18% of fan-ware) he will be on a lot more than 300k.
    He will be on more in the region of £420k/week by the time extras are added.
    I did realise that was the "basic".

I don't mind folk earning/making a good living but it's gotten truly ridiculous and in these times austerity for people in ordinary jobs it's insulting/obscene.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • VTech
    It would be good if more were like David Beckham but even then people generally aren't nice to them. The problem is that as with anything in the world, its worth what someone is willing to pay but there does come a point where even then it doesnt seem quite right.
    It would be good to see the profitability of some of these players published along with the wage structure but that would be the news the media are after.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    I don't think footie is viable in its present form from gate receipts, and even with massive tv rights and sponsorship deals most clubs don't break even. When joe public gets bored as I suspect it is starting to, then revenues will suffer and clubs will start to go to the wall. And serve them right sez I ...
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Without a doubt
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • VTech
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I don't think footie is viable in its present form from gate receipts, and even with massive tv rights and sponsorship deals most clubs don't break even. When joe public gets bored as I suspect it is starting to, then revenues will suffer and clubs will start to go to the wall. And serve them right sez I ...

Football clubs on the whole make vast sums of revenue. What they actually do is run holding companies so that debt can be offset or lost with the failure of a holding or LLP etc.
    The TV/Sponsorship and clothing etc make millions and is highly profitable. People in football are doing very well.
    Living MY dream.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Mikey23 wrote:

People have been saying that for years, look at F1, more money in that and many drivers on more than Gareth Bale.
  • Mikey23
    I assume that would be for the top premiership sides... Not for the Plymouth argyles of this world though who can't afford to but into that system and have to turn out a load of youth paid peanuts on a Saturday afternoon
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Utterly ludicrous, hopefully he pays tax on that unlike Vodafone :evil:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I remember David Nish going from Leicester to Derby for £225,000, the British record at the time. No doubt, there are folks on here older than me, and can remember even further back. The bubble must burst soon.
  • Mikey23
    I remember when Roy race was transferred to melchester rovers for £100 and a bag of chips...
  • I was under impression Real Madrid made more than enough money selling shirts with Beckham on the back to cover the wages they were paying him and the same is expected with Bale. Which is why I don't see a problem with his wages really, if people are daft enough to fork out north of £60 to wear a hideous polyester shirt with your name on it then great, nice trick if you can pull it off and more fool the mugs paying it.
  • Mikey23
    Zackly... It is down to the plebs who buy into the lie I guess but to many it's a way of life and a religion
  • Rigga
    Bale's agent has apparently made 5 million from the deal. Nice work if you can get it :-\
  • Rigga
    The bubble only bursts for the smaller clubs. The bigger clubs like your man utds, barca, real, Liverpool, etc will always have their millions of lemmings all over the world that will continue to buy their shitty shirts etc.
  • Mikey23
    I would assume that the big clubs need the smaller clubs and its not really in their interests to have them go bust
  • VTech
    Rigga wrote:
    Bale's agent has apparently made 5 million from the deal. Nice work if you can get it :-\

An agent would make that on a £25m transfer !
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I would assume that the big clubs need the smaller clubs and its not really in their interests to have them go bust

Not anymore I don't think, that 'security' for the smaller clubs has gone now I think due to the sheer wealth of some of the richer owners. Some of the biggest clubs in Europe are now owned by wealthy investors where seemingly it's bit of hobby to see how many star players you can buy and if I was being a pessimist I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a breakaway European super league within a decade as rich boys seek to play each other with their toy clubs. UEFA have held it off for a while by expanding the European Cup and tilting it toward the bigger leagues but I suspect that won't be enough eventually, I don't have a lot of faith in the new financial fair play rules. Of course, I'd like to be proved wrong but there you go.
  • Mikey23
    Bit boring then when one team of highly paid mercenaries is playing another team of highly paid mercenaries and its only really important when then the top six teams play each other and the rest are just cannon fodder. Reminds me of Scottish football when until recently you had rangers, Celtic and errr everybody else
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    VTech wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

An agent would make that on a £25m transfer !

Its not as lucrative for the agent as it once was, most earn about 5% nowadays, having said that the agent will earn £15k a week from the base salary as well as his cut on any further deals.

Southampton are the real losers in this, they had a sell on clause that was about 20% but when they were in trouble sold that clause back to Spurs for £3m.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Mikey23
    It seems that youth unemployment in Spain is currently 56%
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For those who know more about soccerball than me, who gets what cut out of the transfer fee?
  • Mikey23
    Everybody except the taxman I suspect
  • VTech
    MichaelW wrote:
    For those who know more about soccerball than me, who gets what cut out of the transfer fee?

Player will get 10-20% signing on fee.
    Agent depending on quality will get 5-22% and you can bet the agent that brokered this got upwards of 15%.

There will be many who skim off the top, middle men so to speak and there will be plenty of clauses around the deal.
    He will almost certainly have tax relief as part of the package, its well known that many places work deals with local tax offices and spain/italy are big players in this arena.

He will get free accommodation/expenses etc and will have a lot of extras to sweeten the deal.
    My dad played for Birmingham City back in the day, never made a penny :cry: and died whilst working for Rover (owned at the time by BMW)
    Living MY dream.
  • As I understand it, the spanish Govt subsidise a most of the spanish football teams and the Uk and eurozone have been bailing out the Spanish economy, so...........we are subsidising a football players wages in a country that cannot afford eff all, has a massive economic debt and has huge unemployment problems.

I hate football, its just obscene the amount of money in grim economic times.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    VTech wrote:
    It would be good if more were like David Beckham but even then people generally aren't nice to them. The problem is that as with anything in the world, its worth what someone is willing to pay but there does come a point where even then it doesnt seem quite right.
    It would be good to see the profitability of some of these players published along with the wage structure but that would be the news the media are after.

you mean have a good PR team to make them seem somehow better than the others
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • VTech
    spen666 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

you mean have a good PR team to make them seem somehow better than the others

You know, I was half way though typing about the excellent work he and his wife does but realised that it doesnt matter what he or she does, people like you will always knock them as they do with all brits who do well. its quite laughable really.
    Living MY dream.
  • You know Vtech some of your utterances are comedy gold. I still can't work out if you mean it or if you are one of the most subtle ingenius trolls we've had on here.
  • VTech
    You know Vtech some of your utterances are comedy gold. I still can't work out if you mean it or if you are one of the most subtle ingenius trolls we've had on here.

I would prefer to think of myself as a genuine but I am sure there are some that would disagree. :wink:
    Living MY dream.