Recommendations needed - pannier bags

TrickyGB
TrickyGB Posts: 81
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent pair of pannier bags, I'm not looking to spend loads and loads as it's the first time I've thought of using them so not sure how much use they would get.

I fancy ditching my rucksack for work so would need something removeable that I could take in to the office each day to get changed etc. They don't need to be massive

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• As is normal for these forums, I'll ignore your question and propose something completely different instead ;)

Carradice saddlebags - come in many sizes from a couple of litres to 20 litres plus, and can be used with a quick release mount to get on and off quicker.

I went from panniers on my hybrid to this on my road bike and wouldn't go back, they are great.

But not the cheapest option, so maybe you should have a look in the sales at the moment that wiggle/chain reaction and so on are having, I'm sure you'll get a bargain if you still want panniers.

Also check decathalon and even halfords, think they have cheap ones.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Altura are pretty good.

Ortliebs will last until the heat death of the universe, which makes them pretty good value, in my opinion.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I'm not sure I've ever heard of Carradice saddlebags - how do these work? Do they just connect to my seat post? They could be an option, would they go big enough to fit in spare clothes, shoes/pants/shirts etc?

I'll look into the altura and ortilebs also - thanks for the replies so far
  • TrickyGB wrote:
    I'm not sure I've ever heard of Carradice saddlebags - how do these work? Do they just connect to my seat post? They could be an option, would they go big enough to fit in spare clothes, shoes/pants/shirts etc?

I'll look into the altura and ortilebs also - thanks for the replies so far

Yeah they do the more traditionmal style (what I have) or more modern looking ones. They can strap to your seat without needing a seperate mount (which takes longer to get on or off) or you buy a quick release which attaches to your seatpost.

Go here: http://www.carradice.co.uk/ - if you like any then google it and you might get them at a discount (I did, from sjs cycles). They are hand made somewhere tup norf, and are fantastic quality, lasting people many years apparently. The person making them also write their name in them (I got 'Debby' :))

I fit trainers/jeans/shirt/etc in mine (11 litres) with space in the two pockets for tools/spare tube etc plus wallet and so on. Go for the next one up at 15 litre if you want to fit more in.

The big advantage is you dont need to buy a rear rack to fit, and so your bike looks better ;) (and it doesn't catch the wind and road muck in the rain as much as the panniers)

ps. I had the ortlieb panniers - they are very good also if you go that route
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have the Aldi panniers - you know, the ones that cost nothing ...

Just as well - because one of them has a broken clip rendering it useless ... I had loaded it up a bit too much though :(

Still - I have the other one...

For work I have the Halfords/Bike Hut Pannier Rack Pack ... plenty big enough. Only real complaint is that if you get the waterproof cover out (florescent yellow) there is nowhere to attach a light to it. Duh! Oh well - just means I have to make up some brackets for the rack....

Oh - the advantage of the rack is that if you don't have mudguards on then it still protects you from most of the rubbish kicked up by the back wheel ...
  • Yeah I don't have guards so that would be handy. Need to have a proper look around, I think most would be bigger than I want, it's just for everyday stuff but the ortilebs seem to be around 20 litres each which I think would be too big, though I could just use one I guess
  • For commuting, plus one for Carradice. I use the SQR slim on my road bike.

Perfect size, waterproof, tough and even doubles as a rear mudguard. Hugely better than a rucksack for anything other than short journeys.

For panniers, got to be Ortlieb. I doubt you'd ever need to replace them - the kind of thing you can hand down to your kids and them probably to their kids.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've bought pre-owned Ortliebs from classified ads on here and the CTC forum, only bought single bags cause that's all I need. I've got a Classic Roller rear for the commute and a front version for day rides when taking the larger bag would be too much, total paid for the 2 bags was £65.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Another big plus one for Carradice. I love my Audax saddle bag. Much nicer than the backpack I also use. They look a bit old fashioned but the designs have often not changed in decades because they got it right years ago (though the Audax bag is a bit of an update in some respects). Eg they know not to use zips because zips fail eventually. I'll post a pic this evening unless I forget......

And they are hand made in Nelson, Lancashire. Mine was made by Andrea - I know this because she signed her name on the label!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a couple of Carriadice bags that I use for commuting, a Zipped Roll for the essentials and a Junior for what I need to take clothes in.

I love them to buts, but my only issue is that they cover the seat post and consequently don't leave me anywhere to mount a decent light. The quick release bracket might help with this as it raises the bag but at the moment I'm faced with the prospect of going back to a backpack for winter. :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Slim has a loop to fix a light.
  • asprilla
    The Slim has a loop to fix a light.

I currently use a Hope District+ on the rear of my commuting bikes and I don't really want to take a step back to using anything less capable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:

I currently use a Hope District+ on the rear of my commuting bikes and I don't really want to take a step back to using anything less capable.

Fair point. I use one of the big Cateye lights (with the double row and visible from the side), but the Hope is awesome.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Carradice are a multi-generational purchase, you generally pass them on in your will.
    If you use them really hard, they may need patching and carradice sells a patch kit.
    The only disadvantage of saddlebags is the max size of the contents, so it would be hard to lug a laptop . My single pannier is usually pretty lightly loaded leaving room for extra stuff such as a supermarket raid on the way home.
  • I have a pair of Ortlieb back rollers and also some £15 aldi panniers.

I use a single Ortlieb every day on my commute and think they are amazing - very easy to mount/remove but they stay securely attached to the rack and when I've been out in the rain my kit has stayed dry. The only minor issue is there are virtually no pockets so it is a pain to organise your stuff but I have got used to it now. They are pretty big but it does make it easy for me to pop to the shops on the way home..

The Aldi panniers are also a bargain but despite being smaller I wouldn't trust them when heavily laden on a bumpy road as the attachments seem quite flimsy. Reckon they would be fine for transferring a few clothes to and from work each day though.

Overall I'd recommend the Ortliebs - if you get the Aldi/Lidl ones you'll eventually want to upgrade and the Ortliebs will last you a lifetime.
  • robwatkins wrote:
    I have a pair of Ortlieb back rollers and also some £15 aldi panniers.

I use a single Ortlieb every day on my commute and think they are amazing - very easy to mount/remove but they stay securely attached to the rack and when I've been out in the rain my kit has stayed dry. The only minor issue is there are virtually no pockets so it is a pain to organise your stuff but I have got used to it now. They are pretty big but it does make it easy for me to pop to the shops on the way home..

The Aldi panniers are also a bargain but despite being smaller I wouldn't trust them when heavily laden on a bumpy road as the attachments seem quite flimsy. Reckon they would be fine for transferring a few clothes to and from work each day though.

Overall I'd recommend the Ortliebs - if you get the Aldi/Lidl ones you'll eventually want to upgrade and the Ortliebs will last you a lifetime.

yeah the main problem with the ortliebs is the pockets/lack of. They do have one on the inside but its a real pain to get to when you have stuff in the pannier - I couldn't go back to any pannier or bag without a side pocket or equivilent i think, its just too much hassle when all you wanna do is get your wallet etc!

Or maybe I'm over exaggerating the problem, possibly.

My ortliebs were the smaller, front panniers btw (which I used on the back)
  • asprilla
    My wallet and phone go in the back of my jersey in a waterproof bag so the lack of pockets on the Ortliebs never bothered me. My main issue with panniers was the way they change your centre of gravity; I've been caught out carving though very open junctions when the change in weight distribution means I can't quite take my usual line. With saddle bags and rucksacks the change in CoG isn't as great.

Still, there is no other practical way to carry a reasonable quantity of gear sometimes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    My main issue with panniers was the way they change your centre of gravity; I've been caught out carving though very open junctions when the change in weight distribution means I can't quite take my usual line. With saddle bags and rucksacks the change in CoG isn't as great.

That took me a bit of getting used to, and I have had to accept that with one pannier there are situations where I cannot filter as it does make the bike a bit wobbly when heavily laden. Having said that I'd rather have a minute extra on my commute and arrive without a sweaty back!
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Fair point. I use one of the big Cateye lights (with the double row and visible from the side), but the Hope is awesome.

Ok, put the Carradice Zipped Roll on a SQR today and there is loads of room for a light underneath. Have ordered another SQR for the Carradice Junior and have my fingers crossed that it has the same effect.

As I was writing this I realised that my geared commuter has a layback seatposr and there is a smidge less seatpost showing compared to the straight seatpost on my single speed so it might not work. Only one way to find out.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    robwatkins wrote:
    I have a pair of Ortlieb back rollers and also some £15 aldi panniers.

yeah the main problem with the ortliebs is the pockets/lack of. They do have one on the inside but its a real pain to get to when you have stuff in the pannier - I couldn't go back to any pannier or bag without a side pocket or equivilent i think, its just too much hassle when all you wanna do is get your wallet etc!

Or maybe I'm over exaggerating the problem, possibly.

My ortliebs were the smaller, front panniers btw (which I used on the back)

I have a pair of Vaude ones that are pretty comparable to the Ortleibs. My ones (Aqua pro) does have pockets and is not a roll top but is still pretty waterproof. I mainly use one of the pair (they can go on either side) and that has only done 20,000-miles so far, so too soon to say how long it will last.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Edinburgh Bicycles own brand panniers are about 20 quid each and after over a decade mine are still going strong. Never had them wet inside either.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I don't like the ride with single panniers and find they get wetter with road spray.
    So another vote for carradicesaddle bags with the quick release post clamp in which I trust my lap top, paperwork and whatever. It has loops on which I 've tied bulky items such as bedding and wheels without incident.
    Only issues for me are that you need a few cm of seat post and I don't suppose a carbon post is ideal. It has an led loop but I still like to has a spare light on the seat stay.
  • I've got Altura and Ortlieb panniers. The Altura are OK but no rain protection, separate covers are £15 each. I've just been to France on a tour so got some nice Ortlieb back rollers from http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s74p984 Spa Cycles in Harrogate for £83 each which seemed a good price. If you want a separate pocket you can buy that extra. I thought about doing that but you have to make a hole in the bag and I figured I would get the holes wonky and never be happy with the fit.
  • Evans are still selling Vaude waterproof panniers for £69.99 (for red), list price is £100
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... g-ec047552

I started using panniers earlier this year, I used to carry a rucksack and whilst I still find rucksacks most convenient, I had a crash in Jan and broke my arm, hospital told me that the extra weight of my heavy rucksack pushing through my arm broke it and advised me to use panniers - said that they see a lot of spinal injuries etc caused by rucksacks.

I initially had a pair of Altura Skye panniers which I bought 2nd hand from a friend of a friend but they quickly wore out - when clipped to the rack there was a lot of stress on the fabric in the top corner which eventually split.

The Vaude are roll top waterproof jobs like Ortlieb (similar German company) so the stress doesn't go through that corner. The only disadvantage of the Vaude (and the Ortliebs) is that they are basically 1 big sack with no subdivisions or smaller pockets inside or outside (well there's 1 side pocket thing but that's it).
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    I have been using a set by Avenir for the last couple of years:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... JTQ79D52R1

They are sturdy, waterproof and the the clips are very good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. You can get a lot inside them as well.

I once bought a set from Aldi and put them on my bike. I went over a kerb outside the house and the clip snapped off. Lasted less than a minute.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Evans are still selling Vaude waterproof panniers for £69.99 (for red), list price is £100
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... g-ec047552

I started using panniers earlier this year, I used to carry a rucksack and whilst I still find rucksacks most convenient, I had a crash in Jan and broke my arm, hospital told me that the extra weight of my heavy rucksack pushing through my arm broke it and advised me to use panniers - said that they see a lot of spinal injuries etc caused by rucksacks.

I initially had a pair of Altura Skye panniers which I bought 2nd hand from a friend of a friend but they quickly wore out - when clipped to the rack there was a lot of stress on the fabric in the top corner which eventually split.

The Vaude are roll top waterproof jobs like Ortlieb (similar German company) so the stress doesn't go through that corner. The only disadvantage of the Vaude (and the Ortliebs) is that they are basically 1 big sack with no subdivisions or smaller pockets inside or outside (well there's 1 side pocket thing but that's it).

If I didn't already have the vaude panniers I'd buy those like a shot.