Recommended Womans General Bike

willcalderwood
willcalderwood Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

My other half is looking for a good all rounder woman's bike. It'll mainly be used for commuting, although also the occasional soft trail. She doesn't want to to be too heavy, and it needs to be able to fit a rear child seat also. Ideally she want a fairly low top tube.

If anyone has any advice, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Budget?
    Distance ridden, and over what surfaces?
    What does your LBS have in stock that you can try (honestly there are a lot of "good" bikes, and almost any of them will do the job, so it might be chosen based on what you can get from where).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Ok, more info - sorry, should have provided that originally.

Budget is as cheap as possible to get the job done. Up to £400 is a guide, but not an absolute limit. Her commute is about 5 miles along fairly flat tarmac, so that's a pretty easy ride. But she wants to be able to use it for other stuff too. Quite a few hilly soft tracks around us that would be likely routes.

She's got an old mountain bike, but the problem is it weights a ton, and also has rear suspension so it can't take the child seat.

We've had a look around the local shops, and while we've seen a few that would be OK, we've not seen anything that was a definite 'yes!' so we're still looking.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You cant go wrong with Decathlon bikes for a budget.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 07349.html
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I got my wife a Pinnacle Neon 2 for Christmas. Cost about £300 in the Christmas sales from Evans. Weighs about 10kg. I replaced the wheels and tyres with road wheels/tyres which made it pretty decent for commuting. If you wanted to ride on gravel road tyres are OK if you take it slow, but the tyres that came with it would be OK (but not amazing) for such surfaces. The wheels are a bit naff though, especially in the wet, so I'd recommend upgrading them or looking for something similar with decent rims.

But, what am I saying??? Get her a road bike - my wife road the Neon a couple of times and after a ride with me asked "how easy would it be to put drop bars on my bike?".

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/neon-2-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec044188
  • Just bought my mum a Scott sub 40
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Sub-40-So ... _56906.htm

Very light and looks excellent, it was either that or a giant.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-3- ... _54943.htm

If you haven't guessed she likes blue.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I do love a mixte frame.
    Check this out.
    Get some new wheels and get it serviced though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I do love a mixte frame.
    Check this out.
    Get some new wheels and get it serviced though.

I'm tempted to buy this. Even though my misus has never really been interested in a bike or riding and is 5 months pregnant.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Thanks for the recommendations. They all look like good suggestions. I'll look at them all in a bit more detail and let you know what we decide.

Thanks again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not the prettiest or lightest but the Carrera Subway fits the bill, ideal for doing any light offroad stuff as the frame is shared with their MTB's, as long as you get an 8 speed rear (freehub not wheel) then they are also borderline capable of surviving a nuclear blast. The other recomendation would be the RR as above or a Voodoo Marasa except that has a highish top tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.