New Cassette old chain?

brunlea
brunlea Posts: 33
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I recently changed my chain as it was stretching a bit. However, some gears were still slipping, so i got myself a new cassette. The new cassette is 11-34. The old one is 11-32. Is it ok to use the existing chain on the new cassette (the chain is < 10 miles old), or will it cause problems? I have a long cage derailleur if this makes any difference.

Also, at the moment, when the chain is on the lowest cog on the front, then chain tends to hit the frame. Any way to prevent this?

Thanks

Comments

• If you measured it correctly when fitted then you'll need to add in 2 links as soon as you can as it'll now be too short. I suggest using new cut offs for the gubbins and a quicklink for the joining.
  • brunlea wrote:

Also, at the moment, when the chain is on the lowest cog on the front, then chain tends to hit the frame. Any way to prevent this?

Thanks

You could try removing a few links or just fit a stay protector to protect your frame.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore this and measure the chain correctly. What ring/cog combo do you mean?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Assuming the old chain was original and the right size, is the new one longer? Going from 11-32 to 11-34 will make no difference. You will need to adjust the tension screw though or the mech will be too near the large sproket.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • brunlea wrote:
    The new cassette is 11-34. The old one is 11-32
    You could try removing a few links...

qué?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sounds like the OP may have just fitted the entire chain - hence it's hitting the chainstay, and therein was the advice to shorten the chain. That may also prove advantageous in this instance because he can remove the correct number of links for the new chain, which would otherwise be impossible.