hydration packs

midgehulluk
midgehulluk Posts: 195
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
hey folks

is it worth buying a hydration pack and what recommendations have you all got, been told the cammelbak rogue is a good option?

thanks.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Yes. Get one.

How much do you have to spend and how much crap do you want to carry?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited September 2013
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Yes. Get one.

If you don't want to spend much, and travel light, then Tesco do one for £12 that does the job (the bite valve does tend to seep a few drops in use though).

If you have deep pockets and want to carry a bit more stuff then the Camelback Mule I was looking at the other day seems good. There was a hydration pack group test in last month's What mountain Bike.
  • G-S
    G-S Posts: 19
    Depends on the riding you do to be honest. A rogue is a good option if you don't need to carry any spares or tools (there is a little space round the bladder, but not a lot). A better option is to look at your existing backpack, to see if there is a little loop to hang anything in on the inside near the strap yoke. If there is, great, if there isn't try threading through a key fob or similar to see if your rigged loop can support a little weight without destroying the balance, shape, or structure of the pack. Assuming everything has gone ok, get yourself to Sports Direct, but a cheap hydration bladder there for 5 to 7 quid, and give it a go. If it works for you great, if it works, but you want more quality, go for the Camelbak or similar. There are lots of good options out there, but always look at what you need to carry, as well as water, rather than just thinking about the fluids. Fluids are great to have on you, but not very good if you are in the wrong conditions, without your necessities. Personally I go for a Camelbak MULE, which carries enough, but not loads. In that I get 3 liters or water, space for a waterproof, tools, tubes, food, and a warm layer, with space to spare for misc items. The rrp is 70 quid though, but it works for me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Yes. Get one.

If you don't want to spend much, and travel light, then Tesco do one for £12 that does the job (the bite valve does tend to seep a few drops in use though).
    I bought one of those about four years ago to try them out, being an old bottle user.

It's still going strong and I've never had the need to replace it. Absolute bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Yes. Get one.

I bought one of those about four years ago to try them out, being an old bottle user.

It's still going strong and I've never had the need to replace it. Absolute bargain.

I got mine about five years ago, but I've only started using mine in the last few months. Can't fault it, apart from the bite valve, but that could be replaced with a better one. The current version has the same bladder, but slightly less carrying capacity.
  • Having had Camelbaks before, I have to say I'm a big fan of my Ergon BX2. They're not what you'd call cheap, knocking on for £100 once you get a bladder, but they carry all the stuff I realistically need on a ride, and is without a doubt, THE comfiest backpack I've ever owned.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have a camelbak charge 500 (I think that's it) and it's great

Lots on the market from different brands, just decide a capacity and search around
  • Camel back mule user . Surprising how I get through 3 litres of water . Very comfortable .loads of room .
  • Thanks for the replies guys, ive got it down to two bags the mule and raptor, any views on the raptor?.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i bought one from Decathlon,holds tools,innertube sweets spare gloves and can squeeze in my rain jacket and has a small net on the outside to fit a bottle if you dont want to take the bladder on short rides
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hb-s2-black- ... 43904.html
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/came ... -prod75212
    but for 20quid cheaper
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hb-scudo-bla ... 38559.html
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Thanks for the replies guys, ive got it down to two bags the mule and raptor, any views on the raptor?.

Either one you won't be disappointed with, I prefer my Osprey Viper which is similar to the Raptor (I also have an older Mule) it just feels better on my back personally.
  • Don't buy a camelbak branded one, you pay for too much for the brand name.

I use a trail running pack, very stable, comes with the bladder, holds loads, front pockets for haribo and a built in whistle so you can summon help after high impact trail departures.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/medium-hydra ... 16076.html
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a Deuter EX12 its about 5 or 6 years old and is still in top condition despite being abused and mistreated. I also have an Aldi one that I use as my commuter and short distance pack as its smaller, good value for £10 iirc. Dont be tempted to go too big or you will end up carrying a ton of unwanted junk with you.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks for the replies guys, ive got it down to two bags the mule and raptor, any views on the raptor?.

Not used a Mule, but I have a raptor.

Good points - solid bladder is easy to get into the pack, and doesn't sag etc like the cheapo ones, it also has a nifty magnet on the valve to keep the tube in one place when you are riding. the bag itself is good, if a bit fiddly to get into the bottom to find that illusive tool, and I've found small things can hide in a fold underneath the other internal pockets - no biggy

Bad point - for me although it is supremely comfortable when walking and running, I find that the lack of cushions either side of the spine on the back panel means that when riding long distances, it rubs on my vertebrae which makes them sore enough not to want a pack on at all the next day. This could be a personal thing and related to how flexible your back is - I get round this by sticking helmet foam bits on the back - a bit heath robinson but it works
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Don't buy a camelbak branded one, you pay for too much for the brand name.

I use a trail running pack, very stable, comes with the bladder, holds loads, front pockets for haribo and a built in whistle so you can summon help after high impact trail departures.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/medium-hydra ... 16076.html

So not only will you have the backpack on your back aiding in the sweatfest but you get it on the front too, lovely.
  • Briggo wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, ive got it down to two bags the mule and raptor, any views on the raptor?.

Either one you won't be disappointed with, I prefer my Osprey Viper which is similar to the Raptor (I also have an older Mule) it just feels better on my back personally.

just checked out the vipers and i prefer the look of it over the raptor. What's the bladder size on them and which viper you got and how much storage is in them?
  • I picked up a wood side 2l pack from eBay for about £10.00 ok its small and not a camelback or osprey etc but it does its job for getting fluid in with a tapped bite valve etc.
  • Rogue here. I can fit all my essentials in, multitool, spare tube, patches, pump, keys, phone and snacks. Didn't want anything bigger as I know I'd take stuff ill never use and its all extra weight.
    Superb sack, fits great and Dosnt move around at all.
  • Osprey Viper 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOoAq5tg3qQ

or Raptor - depending what carrying capacity you want.....

The bladder by Osprey has a rigid outer part, so sliding in and out of the pack is easier than the Camel ones (unless they've changed it recently ..... )
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a Camelback bladder I got from Army surplus (Aghanistan spec with insulated pipe and and insulation pouch for the bladder I don't always use in the UK but will keep the contents (filled chilled) cool for 6 hours even in +30 midday temps) inside a cheap H2O backpack, total cost was less than a tenner, the pack is less relevant than the bladder/valve in my opinion, hence my combo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.