Bought first road bike, need some help/advice

SE43
SE43 Posts: 44
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
So I bought my first road bike yet, and I will say I have yet to go out on it yet, but I think the frame is too large.

The bike is a B'TWIN Triban 5 and is Size 57. I am around 5 foot 9. The problem mainly is that I feel really high up, and feel slightly stretched to the drop handlebars. I do have a bend in my arms, but is quite a small bend, and I feel like I lean down. In the shop I felt it was right but as I said, yet to try it out (Going tomorrow)

Is this just me not being used to it? As I have never owned a road bike before, or do I need it adjusting?

Should I just give it a go, or would I be best going for the Size 54? Would Decathlon allow me to swap it for the 54?
B'TWIN Triban 5a

Comments

• I would suggest if you're not 100% you speak to decathlon and ask if you can try a 54 before you go out on the road. It may be you are not used to road bikes and it is fine but better to get it right at the start. Decathlon sizing is, imho, a bit odd, I have a 63 triban 3 but it is pretty close to the overall dimensions of my other 58 cm road bikes. Did they give you any advice when you bought it?
  • SE43
    slow bloke wrote:
    I would suggest if you're not 100% you speak to decathlon and ask if you can try a 54 before you go out on the road. It may be you are not used to road bikes and it is fine but better to get it right at the start. Decathlon sizing is, imho, a bit odd, I have a 63 triban 3 but it is pretty close to the overall dimensions of my other 58 cm road bikes. Did they give you any advice when you bought it?

I think that is what I am going to do. Not really any advice given as such, it felt okay in the shop, but as I sit on it more at home, I feel a little stretched on the arms mainly.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    slow bloke wrote:
    I would suggest if you're not 100% you speak to decathlon and ask if you can try a 54 before you go out on the road. It may be you are not used to road bikes and it is fine but better to get it right at the start. Decathlon sizing is, imho, a bit odd, I have a 63 triban 3 but it is pretty close to the overall dimensions of my other 58 cm road bikes. Did they give you any advice when you bought it?

This is good advice if a bike is too big for you there is nothing you can really adjust. If it is a bit too small there are plenty of things you can try.
  • Agree with the above. You really want to make sure you get the bike that fits you right. You don't want it to spoil your enjoyment if its not the right size. More than that, if you end up over stretching your reach, you could cause injury or even mild discomfort will make you not want to ride it.

I would hope you can get a change, I would think that if you were shown the bike by an assistant in the shop you could argue you were mis-sold the bike. They are meant to be there to help not just flog you something so long as you pay up.
  • Perhaps the size is wrong, so you are correct to investigate that first.

But there are other adjustments that can be made to tailor a comfortable position for you.

for example:
    seat height - low enough so that your hips don't 'rock' or tilt on the downstrokes.

handlebar height - adjust so that riding with hands near the stem is fairly upright and comfortable for moderate speed easy riding.

handle bar angle - adjust so you don't feel that the bars are making you fall forward.

brake hood position - adjust so that riding 'on the hoods' is more stretched for faster riding, but not uncomfortable. Also adjust the inward tilt of the hoods for wrist comfort.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • But surely the OP can't try all the above, find the bike still doesn't fit, then try to change it, I think you should go back with it and try another size, people on here have praised Decathlons service so you should be ok.
  • SE43
    Thank you for the replies, I spoke to Decathlon on the phone as I hadn't ridden the bike yet, were happy to swap it for the 54 if this fits better for me. I will definitely take it for a better test ride round the shop this time!
    B'TWIN Triban 5a